SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Z.5 Bulb Planting in Planter Boxes and Tall Urns?

arbo_retum
15 years ago

On either side of our South-facing entry door,up against the house, we have large heavy duty hand-made planter boxes, about 2'Hx30'W and D. Centered in each is a conifer- Chamaecyparis obtusa Nana Lutea that has flourished for 10 years.In one of the boxes, I have had, for about 4-5 yrs, a patch of species tulips that flowers every year. Today I planted narcissus and muscari in 2 of the boxes. I should have no problem with them planted in these boxes, right?

And what about a different container: a 19th c.decorative iron wide urn design that incorporates a pedestal, so that the plantable urn space is 3' above the ground. It is lined w/ cocoa fiber and filled w/ 6-8" of soil.(Digging in it today, chunks of soil were frozen, whereas in the planter boxes, no soil was frozen and it was quite loose. I have moved this urn into a full-sun spot on the other side of the driveway from the house, but don't know if the placement of its soil-far above and not connected to the ground- is o.k. for bulb survival.....

Thanks much for your help,

Mindy

Comment (1)