SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

shrubby dogwoods - twigs and foliage

15 years ago

I currently have a variegated red-twigged dogwood which is lovely early each year, but then gets foliar diseases that leave it looking pretty ratty for much of the summer. It's about 20 years old and came without a tag, so I don't know what variety it is, though it may be a C. alba since it doesn't sucker. I'm looking for input on its replacement (also variegated), both your personal experience and any good resources, either plant collections, virtual, or books (other than the Cappiello & Shadow "Dogwoods") that compare the various varieties. I have a vague memory of someone who posted color photos of the twigs to compare, but I don't remember where.

My questions are

- Is the foliage healthy? (and if so, how long have you had yours)

- How does the twig color compare if renewal pruning is kept up?

- Any info on size and suckering? (though this is the least important for me)

- Does it have soil pH preferences? (Some do better on soil less acidic than mine)

I know there is a shrub forum, but I thought I'd start here and see what local resources and experience is here before I go farther afield. My reading so far implies that there may well not be vareigated shrubby dogwood with healthy foliage for the northeast. What is your experience?

Thanks!

Babs

Comments (4)