SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ktiz81_gw

Newbie needs some help

ktiz81
10 years ago

Hello Guys,

A little backstory. I moved into a new construction home in 2004, and did very little to the lawn for many years. It is primarily a clay based soil, and to me it looked like the sod had been laid over very little topsoil. Over the years, I had a lawn service cut it, never watered it, and once in awhile had Tru-Green fertilize it.

Well this year, I decided I wanted that "best in the neighborhood" lawn, so I started trying to work on it.

I think I screwed up.

Thinking I needed to add soil, we had dirt dumped, and spread it over the top of the existing grass, and then seeded. When I say Dirt, I mean dirt, it was just screened. I didn't realize that this was the wrong thing to do.

So now doing my reading, which I should have done before, I realize a couple different things;

1. I mow the grass myself, and mow it as high as I can (this has already helped it).

2. I now water it deeply once a week, instead of just for 15 minutes per zone per day.

However I'd like to start using some organic fertilizer to build up the organic matter, and help turn that dirt into soil full of microbes, but where do i start?

Does Molasses help introduce microbes to the soil?

thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (6)

Sponsored