SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigred_gw

A good day gardening.

bigred
19 years ago

Ah,yesterday was prefect after the clouds burned of and I spent a long time playing among the sprouting flowers. I have one place in the yard that's going to have to be a mini meadow for a while because in the grass is coming up 4-get-me-nots,foxglove and a little geranium that arrived under mysterious circumstances years ago(just came up one year and has been re-seeding it's self every since). I just can not bring myself to mow that area until they've had a chance to do their thing.

I have several irisies with fat buds.Dug out from under pinestraw,"Little Brown Jugs",a nice size clump of viola "Fame Check Apricot" the slugs and snails didn't find...yet....knock on wood. One out of about 4 varieties of epimedium is just coming up but I haven't found the others yet.All the tricyrtis I planted last year look like they tripled in size.Gentiana are just tiny little green spots so far. Dutchman's britches haven't come up yet even though the potted ones in the greenhouse have started sprouting. No signs of the yellow fringed orchid(why is it called yellow when the blooms look orange to me?) yet but the chinese ground orchid have flower spikes that should open pretty soon.

The odd little dwarf fritillaria are up in the rock garden and maybe my dogs won't eat them this year before they bloom.Chocolate daisies,winecups,chinese foxgloves and creeping veronica are all looking good in the rock garden.

Trimming all the hydrangeas are going to be a big chore since it I can't stop buying,trading for or propagating the darn things."Cardinal"newly plant last year and still small. Can't remember if I got it limed last fall so the blooms will be the right color.Tri-colored hydrangea"Lemon Wave" sprouting slowing showing off it's colors. Testy little bugger to get established and I think I killed 16 out of 18 cuttings trying to get some big enough to go in the ground the first year and finally planted out 5/4"pots last fall. ,Azalea "Hampton's Beauty" is blooming...I just love this one it's ruffled orangey-pink flowers remind me of a little girl's party dress.

Well, today's going to another busy day in the garden hunting for more treasures that make it thru the winter. I planted lots of new things last fall but have forgotten mostly what and where so it'll be like working in a mine field trying not to un-earth plants.

PP

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville