SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiegardener

ID for purple flowers

17 years ago

I was in Taos a couple of years ago on vacation and really loved the spiky purple flowers all around the town square and shops. I have also seen them along the canal in Bricktown. Does anyone know what they are? I thought they were Mexican heather, then lavender, but wrong both times. Maybe some kind of sage?? I think they are a good hot-weather plant and really lovely. I'd like to get some, but am stuck on the name. They are in this linked picture of Taos on the left side behind the purple cone flowers. Hope the link works! Thanks in advance. Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Taos flowers

Comments (19)

• 17 years ago

I think it is Salvia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia

• 17 years ago

I would also say it is more than likely Salvia.
    And could well be Salvia - May Night
    (Salvia nemorosa 'Mainacht')

I have it and it looks like the picture only mine is not as tall as that. My flowers look like it though.

It is quite popualar I believe and should be found pretty easily. I am sure I saw it recently at Lowes..and maybe walmart too. But most good garden centers should carry it.

G.M.

• 17 years ago

That looks like Russian Sage to me (perovskia). It does resemble salvia, and that's why the common name is Russian Sage. The foliage is very fragrant and minty. Was the foliage grey/silvery?

Susan

• 17 years ago

Okiegardner-if Susan says it is Russian Sage then I bet you it is! She and Dawn KNOW their plants!

I did wonder about the height of it...I know my Savia is not as tall as the picture you showed. It is very similar looking though except for the height.

I wonder if Russian sage is what I have in my front yard? I know that it is some sage type but I can't recall which one. Is there a Texas sage? In my mind I keep thinking it was called Texas sage and I got it in Texas. Perhaps it is Russian sage and I am confused due to buying it in Texas. Lol. It has silvery green leaves and makes a small bush...and blooms small purple flowers. One of them died this winter.

Susan or Dawn what kind do I have? I can take pics if needed.
    In fact I have so many plants around here that I do not what they are. I need to post some pics of them to let you guys tell me what all I have...lol. When I get time I may do that. If you guys don't mind...???

G.M.

• 17 years ago

Carolyn,

If you happen to remember what month of the year the photos were taken, let us know. Since the purple coneflowers are in full bloom, I'm guessing July or August?

I think it could be Russian Sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia) as Susan suggested. Russian sage easily attains a height of 3' to 4' tall, and can get to 5' tall if it gets a little extra water every now and then, so it is tall enough to be that plant. If it looks like common Russian Sage but has a softer, lacier appearance to the foliage, it might be Russian Sage 'Filigran'.

But it also could be one of the many salvias that grow in New Mexico, like Salvia 'Indigo Spires' which blooms almost continuously spring through fall and can get about 4 ' tall. It might be Salvia pitcheri 'Grandiflora' which gets to be about 4' tall and is an early fall bloomer.

It might even be Giant Catmint, Nepeta faassenii 'Six Hills Giant' which blooms on and off spring through fall and gets up to 4' tall.

Without a photo taken a little closer up, I can't really narrow it down, but I bet it is one of the sages mentioned above.

G.M., Your Texas Sage probably is Leucophyllum frutescens, aka as Texas Sage, Texas Ranger or Silverleaf. It is a gorgeous plant (although it is not actually a member of the sage family) but is a zone 8 plant so it can die out here in colder winters. I've linked a photo so you can see if it matches the one you have. Yours might be taller than the one in the link as it is the dwarf one. In the book RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE, I think the Texas Sage is the purple sage they are referring to.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Cenizo--Texas Sage

• 17 years ago

My neighbor was able to winter over Texas Sage last year, but not this year for sure! It would help to have a photo, since it is hard to tell at the distance reflected in the photo. It just looked that from the way the branches were pointing, it resembled Russian Sage to me. The blooming branches appear a bit more "pointy" than sages IMHO. There are now dwarf varieties that don't get quite as tall, but the species does get very tall. It's a nice plant because it looks good all summer. I just whack my back to the ground and it would come up nice and tall, and blooming beautifully after a short time. The honeybees loved it more than anything.

I'm exhausted tonight. Fun day today at the park!

Susan

• 17 years ago

If the leaves were thin and silvery, I'd agree with Russian Sage.

If the leaves were more green that silver, and had a rounded shape, I'd guess Catmint.

• 17 years ago

Look at the flowers in the background of this picture, is it the same? That plant is russian sage.

{{gwi:426649}}

Lisa

• 17 years ago

Thanks all for the ideas. I found another photo that shows the plant better. I think the leaves were gray-green like sage, and I thought it was sage at the time, but have been unable to find it for sale here. I was in Taos the first week of August, so it was pretty warm and dry - high desert climate like sage loves. I planted three varieties of sage and one of lavender hoping to get what's in the picture, but no luck. The flower does look a lot like Salvia, but is much broader and taller than the Salvia I've seen. I called it Mexican Heather in my caption, but that's not right. I wish I could figure out how to post the photo directly into this message, but I guess it's beyond me. What does everyone think seeing the new photo? Thanks for the insight!! Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Taos flowers

• 17 years ago

Carolyn
    I saw a larger leaved salvia today at Pick of the Day. I didn't think it was salvia at all as the leaves were larger. But the name on the plant was salvia. It was a very pretty plant. If I get to go back over in the next few days I will take a look and see if the name,(the LATIN NAME)is on the plant...and let you know.
    Taos is a neat vacation spot. And they have some great Xeriscape plants don't they?
    G.M.

• 17 years ago

See if this link helps you any at all.
    G.M.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Mexican Bush Sage

• 17 years ago

Yes, Taos is a great place. I love (and teach) history, so I enjoyed it very much. As for their landscaping, I think they set a good example for us Okie Gardeners if we keep having these very hot, dry summers. That's one reason I was so interested in the purple bush, which could very well be the Purple Mexican Bush Sage. I didn't get a good enough photo to identify it easily, but it's very similar. I saw something similar, perhaps identical, near the canal in Bricktown last summer, so I'm going to check it out again in a couple of months and see if I can sneak a small cutting. I also think I'm going to order a couple of the Mexican Bush Sage. Can't hurt anything, eh?! Thanks for the info!

• 17 years ago

Carolyn,

If the plant you're seeking is the purple-flowered Mexican Bush Sage, it is a zone 8 plant, so it may not come back for you here in zone 7. However, I have some zone 8 plants that have come back for me for several years, so you just never know.

If you like the kinds of plants you saw in Taos, I recommend you visit the High Country Gardens website. Based in Santa Fe, they have garden centers in several NM locations and have a huge mail-order and internet business. They breed and develop many of their own plants and also sell other plants as well. They specialize in plants that can grow in 'challenging' conditions and have an excellent reputation. Many, many, many of their plants are attractive to hummers.

Even if you prefer to purchase your plants locally, their website and catalog provide excellent photographs, plant descriptions and cultural information.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Gardens Website

• 17 years ago

Thanks for the link Dawn! And thanks G.M. for the suggestions and links! I posted the same ID question on the Southwest Gardening Forum, but so far, no answers. (It is not as active as our forum, which as really become a lot of fun!) I'll check out High Country Gardens today! Carolyn

• 17 years ago

I just got my order from High Country Gardens. They have some wonderful xeric plants. The plants were very healthy and some were already blooming but they were small in size. Overall I'm happy with what I got.

I ordered:
    Scutellaria resinosa - Prairie Skullcap
    Hymenoxys scaposa - Perky Sue
    Mirabilis multiflora - Wild four o'clock
    Linum lewisii - Appar Blue Flax
    Zinnia grandiflora - Prairie Zinnia
    Sedum sieboldii - October Daphne Stonecrop
    Two yucca, an ice plant and three cactus

Lynn

• 17 years ago

Lynn,

I know that High Country Gardens ships their plants while still small. Just wait till next year, though, and they will be huge and gorgeous!

Can you tell that HGC is one of my favorite nurseries!

Dawn

• 17 years ago

To post the picture, I clicked on your photo and another screen came up with several links. I copied the first one, the one that says to post a picture in a blog, and pasted it here:

{{gwi:1098514}}

I still think it looks like Russian Sage, but I've never seen Mexican Bush Sage :)

P.S. After viewing the picture, it looks like you can click it from here to make it larger.

Lisa

• 17 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and ideas! I e-mailed High Country Gardens on Sunday and actually got a reply the same day from a real person! She said the flowers in Taos are Perovskia Russian Sage (see link below) and my photo was probably the Blue Spires variety. Whoo-hoo! I'm so glad to get this mystery solved! Now I'm going to order some of these beauties from HCG and, as you said Dawn, next year I hope I'll have some lovely big plants!

Lisa, thanks for figuring out how to post my photos! If things don't copy and paste, I sometimes get befuddled trying to figure them out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Perovskia Russian Sage

• 17 years ago

Carolyn,

Well, I am relieved that the mystery has been solved.

I think it is great that someone from HCG took the time to respond to your e-mail. It is hard to get that kind of service from some nurseries, but HCG is first-class.

Dawn