SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doc_mikeymike

Hi! Xeriscaping Turf for Shade, et al

doc_mikeymike
10 years ago

Hey guys! Just joined the forums today, and its good to be here.

Long story short, my fam and I will be moving to the Harrah/Newalla area after we build, and I am super excited to landscape our new place. Doing my research, I came across 'xeriscaping', and thought the whole concept is awesome! I'm excited to try, but I have a few questions.

1. Our lot is pretty wooded (lots of black jack trees). Some of these will be cleared to build, and probably some in the back (I would like to have a flower/vegetable garden in the back), but I anticipate that the front will still be pretty shady. I read that buffalo grass isn't very good for shade and well-used areas. Any suggestions on what to use? I have two small children who will want to play outside. Should I forget buffalo grass in the back?

2. Any recommendations on how to accrue some of the beautiful native plants that I've come across online? It seems like hitting up farmer's markets is one way. I didn't know if there were any local nurseries that have a decent selection. Maybe plant exchanges or clubs in the OKC area?

3. Any recommendations on landscape layouts, xeriscaping garden plans? I'm still trying to refine my 'landscaping skills', and I would like to have a good plan going into this.

Sorry for so many questions!

Comments (10)