SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wulfletons

How invasive is poison ivy, really?

wulfletons
10 years ago

The back half acre or so of our lot is moderately wooded with lots of weeds and some patches of fescue growing, and lots of bare patches of land. We will keep is rusticy and won't ever sod or try to turn that area into manicured beds, so I kind of have the attitude that ANYTHING that grows (other than plants that make stickers) is better than erosion and mud, and so we just leave everything be and mow that area once a month or so.

Today I noticed a few areas with a little bit of poison ivy around an old stump and around some other trees. None of the poison ivy is big, and I don't remember seeing any last year.

We don't hang out playing football or anything in that part of the yard. We have nieces that visit sometimes, but unfortunately they are both kind of scared of the outdoors, so I'm pretty sure they will never be wandering around in that area of the yard. They do, however, play on a swingset that is about 100 feet from the poison ivy.

I'd obviously prefer to leave the plant be, but if it is likely to spread rapidly I can try to kill it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Krista

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm