SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gjmancini

ozark tragedy

gjmancini
18 years ago

Hello all, I think I may have posted here some time ago, I noticed that you were metioning how no one has hardly been posting here so Ill give you something to read. A couple years ago my father passed away, my sister and I were driving from Colorado where we live to go to Florida to take care of his final business. On the way we stopped in Mountain Home, Ar. to visit his sister. I was so impressed with that part of the country, it was so beautiful, truly americana, I wanted to be a part of it. When I returned to Colorado I began looking for land in that area, and to my surprise it was very inexpensive. I called on a listing and in a couple of months drove back down there and bought 7 beautiful acres. I told my husband, someday we can retire there, We still got about 20 years till then. I was loving that land so much, it has a 1 acre size pond, I was in heaven.(mind you I have lived in the city my whole life).when I returned to colorado all I could do was think about this new piece of property, how I wanted to have live stock and all the land I could want to garden on. I talked my husband into moving down there within the next 6 months. Our plan was to build a house on that property, but before we could do that we would have to find a place to live while were building. I got on the computer and found a mobile home on some land that was close to the acreage we bought, again another steal. I actually looked at it the first time I was down there. Called the realator, bought it over the phone. By this time we gave our notices to our jobs, rented a truck packed up everything we owned, put a rentr in our house in colorado, and moved to Ar. to pursue our dreams. (Or should I say my dream of living in the country) Heres were the real story begins. On move in day our new place didnt have very good running water, kinda trickled out. The person who ran the city had a heart attack, he was the city hall, so no one could help us with the plumbing. To make a very long story short, we had to shower out side for 2 months, the water line at the main street was broken, i ended up in the hospital was attacked by red hornets while mowing the grass on the new riding lawn mower that i bought that was so hard to use because the tree roots were so elevated it kept knocking me off the tractor. My house was hit by lightning, I lost all my computer equipment and a brand new refrigerator I bought. Needless to say, I lost all the food to. I bough 2 big dogs for protection, they kept us up all night long every night due to the animals in the forest. The street and driveway wasnt paved so every time i attempted to shower with the hose the wind would blow and dirt would get all over me, then it was so humid I would be dripping with sweat. My husband was so frustrated because neither one of us could find jobs. Oh I forgot the biggest problems, I have to shitzus who were totally pampered pets before we got there, there skin was so dry from being flea dipped. Fleas, Oh my God, what a horrific problem in Ar. I had the exterminator out, he laughed, he said this is an on going problem. I though I would die. I had flea bites all over my body,mixed with calamine from all the poision ivy. I thought my only redemption would be to be able to at least have my gardening, I put the shovel in the ground, and what to my surprise. ROCK. That was the last straw. After 3 months in Ar. we packed up our stuff and headed, home, back to colorado. Even after everything I have been through there I still think about it all the time. It really is beautiful, just so many obsticles.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH