SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mscratch

Discovering and Adjusting

mscratch
18 years ago

I am sooooo far out of my element in New England, having moved here in May from Mo. My gardening cycles are out of whack! We finally rented a home on a lake in Southwick for a year and I could not get a garden started. I did plant some flower seeds I had brought with me but very few germinated as it was not until the end of June when I got them in the ground... The Balsam Camelias did well and the purple Hyacinth Vines did fairly well.. I removed the mums from their containers last week and planted them in the ground on the southside of the house and left fallen leaves surround them..will they survive the winter? I dug the miniature roses up and brought them inside and transplanted to pots..will they survive in the house? I didnt plant bulbs mainly because this is a rental and also because there are millions of squirrels here..I have never seen so many! The tomatoes never made it as they were just planted way to late.. but I needed to grow something to keep my sanity..lol.. I guess what I really need to know is am I supposed to plant Northern varieties of vegetables now that I live up here? I can use all the advice you have to offer! Am I really in Zone 5?

Comments (17)