SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Killing frost tonight?

18 years ago

The weather forecast on TV says there will be a killing frost tonight in much--but not all--of New England. Seems so odd after our long, long stretch of warm weather. Even today got very warm when the sun was out. Just thought I'd mention it for those who want to protect certain plants or do a last harvest. I just put down the storms yesterday as I've run the heat in the morning the last week or so. Still waiting for peak foliage tho!

Comments (21)

• 18 years ago

True here is the report:

CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-WESTERN ESSEX MA-EASTERN HAMPDEN MA-
    SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-EASTERN HILLSBOROUGH NH-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FRAMINGHAM...LOWELL...LAWRENCE...
    SPRINGFIELD...MILFORD...WORCESTER...MANCHESTER...NASHUA
    720 PM EDT THU OCT 20 2005

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM EDT
    FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A FROST
    ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM EDT
    FRIDAY.

THIS FROST ADVISORY INCLUDES MUCH OF SOUTH CENTRAL AND INTERIOR
    NORTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS...AS WELL AS THE NASHUA TO MANCHESTER
    CORRIDOR IN SOUTHWEST NEW HAMPSHIRE.

MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES AND LIGHT WINDS WILL ALLOW OVERNIGHT TEMPERATURES
    TO FALL INTO THE MID 30S. THIS WILL RESULT IN A WIDESPREAD FROST...
    ESPECIALLY IN VALLEY LOCATIONS.

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS EXPECTED. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR
    PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.

• 18 years ago

I've seen lows predicted for here tonight in the 37-40 F range so it looks like we've dodged the frost bullet for now. I have a Brugmansia that is just covered with buds. I've been holding out hope that a few more of them will open but I guess it's time to let go of that dream, cut the plant back and get it ready for winter sleep.

Sue

• Related Discussions

Cole Crops Won't Head Up

Q

Comments (1)
    Broccoli is hardy down to the lower 20's, and frost will not hurt them. Outdoor temperature would be the first thing I would suspect that is keeping your plants from reaching maturity. EG
    ...See More

Killing frost anyone?

Q

Comments (12)
    Yesterday it was 90+ here in MD. What is this frost stuff you speak of. Is it like the stuff that builds up in my freezer?? ;-) Oh, and if anyone has some extra rain they could send this way that would be GREAT!! Drought sucks! Two days of piddly drizzle all month is all we've gotten. Jen
    ...See More

Did you notice the snow?

Q

Comments (5)
    the potpie and fire certainly sound great. i can make a mean pot pie, but i'm without a fireplace . i'm right outside of philly (montgomery county). we had non-stop rain all day yesterday and into this morning, but no snow. it's rather windy and i believe going down into the 40's tonight, which makes for great sleeping weather. i've been diligently working outside to get winterized ahead of time, because you just never know what season it's going to be from one day to the next anymore. hope to get all my houseplants in by the weekend. stay warm, happy autumn maryanne/earthly
    ...See More

FYI.....Frost Advisory Zone 7B Tonight

Q

Comments (8)
    Other than 11 degrees below zero on Valentines Day we have had a mild winter this year which is the exact opposite of last year. Temps dip slightly below freezing at night (like tonight) and some spells of 40s all day (like today) but daffodils are blooming and tulips wont be far behind, Pussy Willows are open, buds are swelling on trees with some popping open slightly, dogwoods ready to open up....Last year there was over a foot of snow and it was brutally cold here and all this Spring stuff didn't happen until the end of April. El Nino has turned the tables on everyone this year. Jon
    ...See More
  • 18 years ago

its 35 here already. I'm well ready for it.

Actually this will be the first first frost where I don't cover stuff up to make it last longer. I've already pulled the tomato plants, the annuals have had it, The morning glories are even done. The mum's are not worth prolonging after 10 days of rain. Sometimes I cover them just to squeeze more life out of them, but I'm ready for the next season. Bring it on!!

All the tropicals and coleus cuttings are in the garage or basement getting read for the long winter. Except the one(s?) I forgot about that I will discover tomorrow!! LOL

• 18 years ago

Woke up to 28 this morning. That's it for me. And I was having so much fun this fall, with our 1st frost 3 weeks late!

Not much was happening anyways. The vegetables had stopped producing due to cold, less daylength, and not much pollination. Yesterday I picked all my remaining peppers and chiles. Even though they were alive, the annuals were looking a bit tired.

At least now I can finally dig up those dahlias in the garden I work in across town.

• 18 years ago

Oh darn, you reminded of dahlias... I was going to cover mine to save them, because they still have so many buds and blooms on them. They love this cool weather. But I forgot. Oh well...its really over now...

27 here this morning in open low-lying backyard. 31 in front near house.

• 18 years ago

Light frost here. Picked the last of the Brandywine toms last night and covered up fushias and lemon verbenas. All in containers moved to covered patio and seem no worse for the wear. Goal is to have cannas blooming at Thanksgiving :-)

Martie

• 18 years ago

Hmm... my wireless weather station says it didn't drop below 40. I'm hoping for a few last Big Boy toms to finish ripening.

• 18 years ago

39 here last night so no killing frost. But most of my annuals are definitely looking tired and yearning for the compost pile. But this wonderful brisk, cool, sunny weather is such a pleasure. I have a lot of yellow leaves on trees and shrubs but the only real red so far is the sourwood.

• 18 years ago

No frost yet on the coast. We may have 10 more days before it gets to our area. For the past several years, the first frost has come between October 31 and November 2.

• 18 years ago

There was ice on the water buckets this morning but I don't think I lost anything, including annuals. Shame, because it would give me a reason to rip up all the tired tomato and basil plants and dump some very ready compost!! :-)

Ellen

• 18 years ago

Well, my wireless said it got to 33 degrees, but looking at the top leaves of my brugs and basil, it may have got a little lower. I put everything in the garage last night, since it was already 40 degrees at 9:00pm. I need to finish getting the greenhouse ready for them today and in they go for the long winter.

• 18 years ago

Houseplants come in (kicking and screaming or no...) this week.

• 18 years ago

Help! I am having a Brugmansia problem! I can't eat dinner because I can't get to my kitchen!

seriously, if anyone wants any big cuttings, let me know!

• 18 years ago

LOL-Peregrinekt, I was out running around the garden last night in my PJs at 11:15(after hearing the frost advisory on the 11 o'clock news) tossing pots of Brugs and Bananas into the garage and screen porch. I have one to go and being lazy, the kitchen is looking like a good a spot as any. In the next hour or so I also need to get out there and take some cuttings too. Nothing like waiting til the last minute, huh?

Sue

• 18 years ago

Peregrinekt, THANK YOU for posting that picture! I made a point of showing it to my husband, just so he knows that we are not the only ones whose kitchen has been taken over by plants.

Last night I was running around, too, with a trowel, frantically digging up the succulent houseplants I'd put into the garden beds this spring. They ended up, bare root, in large bowls on top of the stove. I would have put them on the kitchen counters, but the counters were completely filled with the orchids and Hippeastrum. I'd brought in the day before. We had take-out dinner...and then I went running out again with a sheet to cover up the last few plants.

And the low last night was...38! Even the coleus I'd left outside, uncovered, was fine this morning.

I'm trying to get my husband to take a bunch of the succulents into work, because he has a big window in his office and we--er, I, um, have a lot of houseplants at the moment and can't see how I'll fit more into the already crowded window space. My plan is actually working out better than I thought it would, since if he takes the plants to work, we can use the kitchen again. He likes to cook. We're going to bring a bunch of plants to his office on Saturday.

In the meantime, I know a really good take-out Chinese restaurant in the metro Boston area, if anyone else around here is having this problem.

Amanda

• 18 years ago

LOL! That's what my sunroom looks like as of last night. I dragged in all of the houseplants and tropicals because the forcast was for lows of 31F. I was skeptical because the temps before and after last night were forcasted to be warmer. But I erred on the side of caution.

This morning it was obvious there was not frost and the temps had not dipped to or below freezing. And, there's supposed to be 65 degree weather coming along.

Out go a few of the plants for another week. They are grumbling that they had to come in too soon.

• 18 years ago

I went out and covered some of my dahlias as they are still blooming,and with a forecast for higher temps at nite for the coming week.i am trying to save them for the inevitable,just not ready.
    we did not get below 32 so all is well here in the "Quiet Corner" for the time being.
    Brought in my hot peppers plants and my bananas.
    Sandy

• 18 years ago

No frost here either. I've cleared a spot on my sun porch (which doesn't get much sun until the leaves fall off the trees) for wintering over plants. Not even all the trees have turned. Down by the elementary school near me, the sugar maples are still green, yet I have one oak tree almost bare, but that was due to drought stress.

• 18 years ago

Frost here, but not hard enough to scorch the south-facing, in-the-ground Lemon Verbena. All tenders that were moved to the covered porch for safekeeping are fine. The containered Helix seem to be loving the cold???? The true annuals did take a hit and will be yanked. Scraped the car window this morning. Ugh!

LOVE the pic. Showed it to DH who immediately started moving furniture in anticipation. He'll only do Chinese once in awhile. LOL

Martie

• 18 years ago

Yes, we dragged in plants this week too. Our problem is we are in the middle of fixing the LRoom ceiling and putting insulation in the attic, so there are boxes all over the house and no place in front of my windows to put the plants back where they were last year. *sigh* So I didn't drag as much in as I did last year. I let the impatiens and wax begonias just get killed by the frost and one coleus that I didn't like.

Everything else is all over the floor in the kitchen /DRoom
    I don't know what I am going to do with them all and I don't have the time to fool with them right now. I think I may end up losing some of them this year.

Taking them to the office..now there is a thought. I have a huge hibiscus that doesn't really get enough light at home. Plus a gardenia that I have a hard time taking care of.

Chinese food sounds good...where is your good place Amanda? I have a good one, and I wonder if it is the same as yours?[g]

Adam

• 18 years ago

Slushy snow Saturday, but the temps have been well above freezing and we haven't had frost yet. Last year my area got the first frost on November 1, but from the looks of the forecast, we have another mild week ahead.