SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
austinwildflower

questions about grass and soil

austinwildflower
17 years ago

hello,

I have some questions about my soil. I have a small space, about 200 square feet, in which I have been trying to grow buffalograss. I sowed seed last spring, some of which came up, and then early in the fall installed plugs. Between the two of these, I"m hoping the grass will fill in. There are also wildflowers sown sparsely in this area.

The area was quite bare to begin with, except for some horseherb, and I have pulled most of it out. It is also very heavy clay. I amended/tilled the soil as best I could both times I planted, added compost, etc. But after our heavy rains for the past couple months, many parts of it have become heavily compacted because it was so bare, and so the grass is struggling to grow and has only filled in about 20% of the area. In addition I had a soil test last month that told me I was low on nitrogen and needed to spread about 4 lbs/1000 ft. The test also reported that I was very high on phosphorus so to avoid phosphorus for a few years.

So my question is twofold--1. can anyone suggest a way to keep the soil from being so compacted while the grass is growing/spreading? and 2. most organic fertilizers have some nitrogen. What source should I use to get more nitrogen in my soil? I spray my landscape with seaweed/humic acid mix every couple weeks. I really want to baby this area because it is a really center piece in my backyard--the only place that gets full sun. I know buffalograss doesn't like to be babied but I want to at least get it to the point where it's not just little plugs everywhere.

Any suggestions welcome... I'm a new gardener--

Amy

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz