SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wetfeet101b

Cattleya Rescue + major surgery

wetfeet101b
16 years ago

***WARNING*** Some images may be too graphic for orchid lovers.

Text is also long. Skip the text if you wish :)

Back in January, my mother in law needed to "streamline" her orchid collection as it was getting hard for her to maintain everything alone.

This meant giving away some not-so-hot plants to friends and family so that she can focus on the ones she really loves.

There was one beautiful and very large cattleya that needed some serious TLC and she entrusted me with trying to revive it.

This is the picture of the cattleya when she first showed it to me in January:

It had no tag so we just called it "white cattleya" for the time being.

It is potted in a 12" hanging plastic pot. And from what I heard, it was a division she planted over 12 years ago and never repotted since.

We waited until late March before we attempted to do anything with it because I wanted to wait for better weather. I also needed to complete the greenhouse first so that the orchid can have a proper place to recover.

When I unpotted the plant, it was severely rootbound and there were several new leads that were trapped under the pot and died. This led to some stinky dead matter that has been brewing in the pot for some time now.

Also, there was no sign of any potting medium left. It was all roots and dead young leads.

Who knew that orchid bark would completely disappear after only 12 years? :)

Anyway, while cleaning away the dead matter, a yellow tag jumps out from the tangled mess. It was the original tag: Cattleya Hawaiian Wedding Song 'virgin'.

While none of us are from Hawaii, my wife and I love the place. And this plant also gave us most of the flowers that we used for my wife's bouquet for our wedding a couple of years ago. So I now had some feeling of global karma that I have to revive this plant as it made a significant contribution to our wedding years ago.

The plant was big enough that I was able to divide it safely into four main divisions. Some "smaller" divisions containing 3-6 p-bulbs also naturally broke away during the process. I also had some single "old" p-bulbs that I'm not sure if they still have any possibility to grow new leads.

Fast forward to June, here are some pictures of the new divisions as they are sprouting new leads and roots.

Group shot:

3 divisions in 12" wire baskets wrapped in shade cloth fabric. 1 division is in a 10" wood slat basket.

I'm trying out Aussie Gold mix for the first time and I needed the net to hold the media in the basket since the basket's gaps are too big.

One of the divisions showing new leads:

Close up of the new roots. Things look encouraging so far:

This is one of the "smaller" divisions that broke of naturally.

This was the center part of the original plant and clearly was in the worst shape of the entire bunch. It appears to be healing nicely though with new leads.

I am hoping that they are healthy enough to bloom this season, but that may be too optimistic considering the trauma they just had with dividing and repotting.

I will post more photo updates as soon as there are any significant events.

If everything works out, she has another identical cattleya that she wants me to divide and repot.

Now this is the "bigger" sister of the one I previously revived. This one is nearly 4 times as big.

{{gwi:152689}}

If this one works out too, I may have several dozen excess C. Hawaiian Wedding Song 'virgin' plants available for trade by 2008 or 2009 lol.

~John

Comments (12)