SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mistersubliminal

New & Puzzled & Seeking Help

mistersubliminal
16 years ago

Dear All,

I have been reading your forum for a few months now and have tried to maintain an organic lawn. I have had limited success and would like your opinion.

My yard is a gently sloped lot that receives partial sun. When we moved in, the back yard was a mix of dirt and weeds. Back in April, we weeded, prepped the soil, and laid zoysia emerald sod. It looked beautiful -- for about two months. I followed the cultural practices suggested on this board regarding mowing, watering, and the use of organic fertilizers (I mainly used soybean meal with occasional sprays of diluted seaweed powder). Slowly, the lawn became straggly and thinned out. By September it was very thin and parts of it appeared gone.

There are many possible explanations for this. I may not be getting enough sun to sustain the zoysia. My toddlers and small dogs occasionally (not too often) run around on the lawn, and the places they run look the worst (though other places look bad, too). My lawn may have suffered some disease or insect infestation that I was too busy and/or ignorant to detect.

It won't be long before Spring is here, and I would like the yard to look better. I am not in search of a five-star, award-winning lawn. I just want filled in, thriving, greenness. My questions for you all are:

(1) If I were to overseed in the spring, what kind of seed should I put down, keeping in mind the existing zoysia emerald, the partial sun, and the occasional traffic? (2) What do you think my lawn problem is?

Thank you all very much for your help.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County