SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iowa50126

Record Grain Prices vs. Organic Lawn Care

16 years ago

I live in the part of the US that lives or dies by the price of corn and soybeans on the CBOT. (Chicago Board of Trade) You'll hear the grain markets in every news cast here in Iowa.

This week...Corn is near $5 a bushel and Soybeans are near $13 a bushel; all record high prices in the past year. Even the DDG's (Dry Distillers Grains) my local ethanol plant sells have gone up to $180 per ton from $140 per ton since last October.

While I suppose some will want to debate the "politics" of these market price increases...I want to get some idea of how these increases will affect those that use grains on their lawns.

These prices in the futures market will, no doubt, increase the in-put cost for grains used by organic lawn care devotees.

It's always been my opinion that the organic method costs a homeowner more money each season than the synthetic method. But, the higher cost vs results on the turf and the environment were worth it.

While synthetic fertilizers costs may increase in 2008 due to higher petroleum prices, it would seem grain price increases will be higher. And the spread between organic and synthetic will widen.

Will you pay the high price to continue the organic method?

Will you use as much product on you organic lawn in 2008 or will you cut back to hold the cost down?

Will you switch back to synthetics in 2008?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm