SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wellspring_gw

Black and Gold - With Hostas Included

wellspring
13 years ago

I'm feeling kind of blue lately about my garden adventures, so hadn't been posting much.

Trying to get my toes back in the water with a little dreaming ...

I want to try some gold hostas, possibly with gold companions, contrasted with other foliage plants as near-black as possible.

Dumb idea? Anyone tried this? The bed I have in mind is beside the back patio, enclosed by a sidewalk. Space is north side of house, 9 x 20.

Our siding is very light, so there's plenty of ambient light. H. plantaginea was here from previous owners. Blooms profusely. H. Guacamole colors up nicely and loves being in this bed, but you guys will probably point out that Guac isn't really that "gold".

One thought is that I leave Guac alone and add a solid gold. Now here's the hard part. Maybe ... maybe it isn't hard. I need the form of additional hostas to be distinct. Why? Because I'm a totally blind gardener. Plantaginea is sufficiently different from Guac for obvious reasons -- leaf substance, leaves feel puckered, holds its leaves up differently.

Questions:

1. Is the black and gold idea totally stupid?

2. Would you keep Guac in (it pains me to think of digging that baby)? Or switch for a solid gold?

3. Is there a gold companion hosta that would work with Guac? If so, what?

a. I can imagine having one truly large hosta in this bed.

b. Small gold hostas with distinct form?

4. Any hints or tips to combining with other plant forms to move this bed toward something that pleases in terms of height, texture, etc.?

I have gold varigated Hakonechloa, campanula 'Blue Eyed Blond' (considering getting several more now that I've tried it), plenty of ajuga 'Black Scallop'.

Hope you respond ... even if to say, "Don't do it!"

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH