SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennaj_z4mn

Funkie Gardens

jennaj_z4mn
13 years ago

I hope it's okay that I post this here. I received this yesterday from Funkie Gardens.

To our Friends and Valued Customers,

It is with regret that I notify you that Jim Lawton has been diagnosed with kidney cancer with possible bladder, prostate and lymph node involvement. In addition, he and his wife were in dire straights already and the mounting medical bills and expenses are overwhelming. Therefore, I am writing to all of you as an 'online fundraising benefit' for Jim. Below is an email I received from his wife outlining the situation and ways that people can help.

Hopefully, Jim will have a complete recovery and be able to be his enthusiastic and gregarious self again next summer at Funkie Gardens. Prayers will certainly help.

Gratefully,

Terri and Denny

Terri,

First of all, thank you so much for doing this "online benefit" for Jim. He is dumbfounded by your willingness to do this for us. I am at odds with asking for help, but our situation is not good. As you know, I have been unemployed since November 13th. Then Jim was diagnosed with renal cancer on November 27th. Since there is a dispute about my getting unemployment, we are currently without the benefit of that income. I have been told by Unemployment that my appeal may take two to three months. And, since my unemployment benefits are in dispute, I am not able to take advantage of Obama's legislation allowing me to pay only a percentage of our health insurance. The resulting premium for health and life insurance for both of us is almost $1100 a month. Staggering, even without the current circumstances.

Secondly, I have created a web site (free) for Jim and will be posting periodic updates as his surgeries and treatment progress. That way everyone who is interested will be kept up to date. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jimlawton

As I said, our first concern is making the insurance premium payment within the next 25 days. Donations need to be made out to: "Jim Lawton Medical Expense Account" and mailed to us at 1121 Pearl St. If we get $100 in donations, then we will use that to open the account at First National Bank. Other ways that people could contribute would be:

Gift card, any amount, Ptacek's IGA, Prescott, WI (715) 262-5636

Virgin Mobile $20 phone card to add minutes to 'Pay as you Go' cell phone so I can better keep in touch with the kids

Cards and letters mailed to Jim at 1121 Pearl St, Prescott, WI 54021

Dinner entrees' for the freezer.

Gasoline gift cards from either BP or SuperAmerica.

Write a note to Jim at the Caring Bridge Website listed above.

I cannot believe that Jim is going to be any different after all this is over. In my eyes, he will always be strong, with one of the most winning smiles and abundance of enthusiasm I have ever seen. Maybe it is denial, but I like to think that it is a positive attitude.

Again, thank you for your help and the help of the Funkie Customers who are able to pitch in. It will be forever appreciated.

Jana

Comment (1)