SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Do you have a bell/sweet pepper that does OK here?

plantslayer
13 years ago

OK, just to get this out of the way, I know that Seattle is not a good place in general for bell peppers. But my wife really wants some bell peppers for 2011, and I figure I can get at least a modest harvest if I play my cards right. We are very good at putting up low tunnels every year, which makes out tomatoes grow quite early, so I can probably try to do that for my peppers too. Anyway...

I was wondering if anyone has favored bell or sweet peppers that do well in the PNW? Some of the ones I am interested in are Gypsy, King of the North, sweet chocolate and maybe Bull Nose. Most of these are all a little on the small side I believe, and my wife would like big bell peppers, but if that is not feasible I will stick to what grows well. Do pimento varieties grow better, and can they serve in the place of bells in stir fry?

Also, the ones I mentioned are all open pollinated I think (actually there is a hybrid version of Gypsy?) but I don't mind planting hybrids if they will give me an edge; I don't get the impression that there is a big dropoff in eating quality between heirloom and hybrid varieties for peppers. Usually I like to grow heirlooms for the cachet value and because they are more interesting, but it seems peppers are already hard enough to grow well around here without handicaping myself.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer