SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayalena

do you have a favorite combination in your garden?

mayalena
18 years ago

I have a combination that arose from pure luck, and I absolutely love it. It's been blooming in full sun almost all summer. Wish I could post a photo, but let me try with words.

The bed is tiny, by the driveway, maybe 3'along the driveway x 5' along the sidewalk and a curved hypotenuse. In it are a small mugo pine (a very prickly, deep green mound), a yaku rhodie that's very lopsided, as it's lost branches from snow, 3 salvia n caradonna (very purpley-black stems and nice, never-ending purple spikey bloom), 1 centranthus ruber (somewhat floppy, open, airy, endless pink blooms), 3 heuchera (purple leaf with lots of green and silvery tracing, possibly "Silver Scroll"?), and several variegated sedums (purples, pinks, greens, a little white edge here and there). What works SO well is the pink/purple/deep purple color combination, and the contrast between the foliage shapes of the rhodie, the heuchera and the mugo needles. It's the only spot in my garden that is just right. So...I wonder which plant I'll lose next? LOL.

I would love to hear about combinations you like in your gardens.

I am thinking of moving a Rozanne geranium over to join some Scabiosa Ochroleuca, and maybe some more salvia. Maybe all of those should go by a peony? The scabiosa is open and airy and blooms forever in a very pale, moonlighty yellow with great seedheads following the blooms. I like that creamy yellow with the salvia's deep, plummy purple -- and I love the idea of Rozanne weaving those 2 together -- but I am not sure about their colors together. Is Rozanne too bright? Will it make the other 2 muddy? Will it do OK in full sun? What if I add some plumbago? Still don't have it quite right in my head.

Tell me what you think!

Thx.

ML

Comments (8)