SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smorz

Genetic question

smorz
16 years ago

I did search this question, as I thought it would be a common one. Either I was searching using the wrong words, or something, cause I couldn't find much.

I was wondering if there was any rhyme or reason to the parentage of seedlings and their outcome? I know about how the pod parent allows for streakers and solids etc., but thats about it. Mostly I gather, from here and there, you breed for characteristics you want to carry over... and shoot the dice? It seems some plants may send dominant traits over as a rule, and you basically learn from experience what crosses tend to give you. Somewhat correct?

For instance, out of seedlings of a streaked parent, open pollinated... I can ultimately wind up with any size, shape of leaf, texture, etc., in those parents' genetics? And then maybe even some unexpected? It can also self pollinate... and that means ?? as far as seedling characteristics (one would think you may be more likely to have more hosta kids like the pod parent)?

I'm up for suggestions of books for easy reading on the subject, if I can learn more. I will certainly pass on books similar in writings to the Genetics section at the Hosta Library, though. I consider myself a bright light bulb... but I just didn't have the attention span for that type of info.

Sorry... I feel like a little kid who cant quit asking why? why?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH