SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Soil Testing: Your opinions?

thisismelissa
13 years ago

I'm starting a new hosta bed in my front landscape. Planting will take place in the spring... mostly from thinning out the back garden. It'll be a bit of a secret garden as it's not going to be very visible from the street, but very visible to me from my front window and porch.

As you can see in the pic below, the area has been under about 4-8" of limestone mulch and black plastic for at least 8 years, maybe close to 10. Thank you previous owner NOT! I curse the use of rock and black plastic.... even wrote about it on my blog: http://koskashostas.wordpress.com/2010/05/15/landscape-rock-black-plastic-weed-liner-bad-choice/

The rocks and plastic have been removed. I'll admit I feel a little bad that a good friend took the rocks...but she promises that she has no plans to ever plant in that area! (she's read my blog!)

The soil, well... yuck. Seems fairly sandy... I'm sure that's from the previous owner's using it as the bed for the retaining walls. I have already mulched up a lot of leaves to spread onto the bed over the winter. In the spring, I'll get my hands on some horse manure compost too.

All that said...given that this bed hasn't seen the light of day for most of the last decade, and I already plan to copiously add organic material, should I spend the money ($15 plus shipping) to have the soil tested?

What will it tell me?

Will it be valuable to my plans to grow gorgeous hosta here?

Thru the U of MN, the Regular Series test includes: phosphorus, potassium, pH and lime requirement, organic matter (%) and estimated texture class

The view from the street. If you see where the new Diablo Ninebark tree form is, you will notice the bed kinda wraps around it and will line the sidewalk to the house. Nearly all of the limestone you see in this pic has been removed to prep for that bed.

Yes, this is a silver maple and my plans are to remove it in the coming years. I hate the darned thing.

Comments (11)