SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homersgarden

Have started removing ivy...the treasures I have found

homersgarden
17 years ago

I posted about a month ago about the "back 50" that is my property behind our fence that has been taken over by ivy. We are trying to clean it out so eventually we can move the fence back and so my son and daughter can have a "jungle" to explore.

Each Sunday my son (almost five) wait until his sister goes down and we head out to the jungle for some ivy cutting. He has a very dull yard saw and I have a sharp one. The two of us spend about an hour hacking and cutting down "bird poohpooh" trees (we call them that...just junk trees that I can not find purpose to), stacking old limbs into burn piles, and clearing a trail through the ivy.

We have found these huge rocks that are so cool. One is about three feet across and is angled like a slide. We call it the sliding rock. The other boulder his enormous and our little Boston Terrier, Howie, loves to climb on top of it and watch us work. We are finding such cool rocks back there. We can't wait to get more cleared and each week we have discovered more and more.

I am happy to report that while we have found many nests and burrows (we have seen skunks, possums, raccoons in the neighborhood and our yard) we have never seen a live one when we are working. We have found some snakes and salamanders though. We are keeping the larger trees and hope to plant more once we get more clearning done.

At this point we are going to spray some Roundup and most likely Crossbow (one side that we have not attacked has blackberries) soon and hope to have a big burn party (manned by my firefighter brother) when it begins to cool down.

So even if I hate the ivy, I have discovered some cool rocks and some special time with my son!

Comments (7)