SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonercel

Advice on beginning a Veg. Gardening

soonercel
19 years ago

Hello all.

I live in Norman. My dh and I decided to start a vegetable garden this year and neither of us have much knowledge of gardening. I watched my parents garden while growing up and know a little bit, but didn't take an interest in it until now. I am hoping I can get information from reading different sources and coming here to ask questions.

We want to plant radishes, yellow and zucchini squash, cukes, green beans, spinach, watermelon, pumpkin, carrots, chives, and maybe even broccoli. Is it too late in the season for any of these?

About our garden plans: even though we aren't sure of the exact footage just yet, we plan to start small. I'm not sure if we need to rent a roto-tiller or if a simple shovel and hoe will suffice. I know enough to shake all of the weeds and grass out of the dirt after digging it up and discarding the weeds/grass. After that step I have questions.

Do we need to prepare the dirt? Like with a mulch or fertilizer before planting?

Do certain veggies do better with other veggies in the same row or does it matter how the rows are arranged?

Do we need to start seeds indoors and transplant outdoors?

Which ones?

When should we get started on planting? Is now too early or should we wait until May?

What type of fertilizer should I use and when?

There is a cow pasture directly behind us...I'm thinking of asking the owner if we can access it to gather up some old manure to mix into the soil before we plant. Do I need to let the soil rest after mixing manure into before planting seeds or transplants?

I know that's a lot of questions. I appreciate any and all help and suggestions any of you can give to us. Thank you in advance and Happy Gardening to you all.

Celeste

Comments (4)