SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elraja

Veg Garden Relaunch

12 years ago

Hi everyone, long-time lurker here. I'm relatively new to gardening, Colorado, and naturally bindweed, in that order.

I started a vegetable garden with a few raised beds last year and they were promptly swamped by bindweed (see here for the sad story). So...partly because of that and partly because I wasn't thrilled with the layout, I decided to redo the garden this year, and hopefully better control the bindweed. I would appreciate any thoughts on my plans before I head off to do it.

My initial thought was to clear the area, lay down lots of landscape fabric, build the new beds on top, and lay plenty of bark mulch everywhere. Until I read more about bindweed and learned that it easily grows through the fabric. So, short of laying down concrete, I've settled on doing landscape fabric topped by a 4" compacted crushed gravel (road base) base, topped by bricks laid in patio sand. Yes, bricks. The money must be burning a hole in my pocket. I'd essentially be building a brick patio around the raised beds.

Going the brick route actually led me to design a more formal 40' x 30' garden. The new beds (wood) would be 16" high and lay on top of the gravel base. I think that would be enough room for most plant roots. Also, I planned on laying pvc irrigation pipe to the beds under the fabric at the beginning. This would help run a drip system to the beds without unsightly drip lines laying on the brick.

Thoughts? Concerns? Any gotchas? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Comments (8)