SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tulsabrian

Fruit Trees and nurseries

tulsabrian
15 years ago

I ordered some fruit trees and vines this year and said in a previous post I'd list the quality once I'd received them. So here it goes for what it's worth to anyone.

Rolling River Nursery (California) - Hardy Kiwi and Paw Paw. I was hesitant about ordering from California just because of the climate difference but decided to try a small order as a test. The only problem would be the shipping time ... they were on the road for 7 days. All four arrived in good shape although the kiwi had broken dormancy in transit. However, they greened up immediately and started growing rapidly. The Paw Paws were dormant but have since leafed out. This nursery is organic, and their stock is raised and shipped in tree tubes and extremely well packaged. A little pricier than some other nurseries but I think the quality justified it. I'll see how they adapt to Oklahoma but I'm not expecting any problems and, if so, I'll definitely order from them again.

Hidden Springs Nursery (Tennessee) - LSU Gold Fig, Jujube and Melon Berry. Family operation, appears to be small ... I mailed in the order form as they don't have online ordering. In each case they ask if you want alternatives if your selection is out of stock, or a refund, and when you'd like them shipped. I requested April 1st and that's exactly when I got them. Stock was bareroot and on the smaller side, but in good shape. All are in the process of leafing out and are doing well. I would order from them again.

Raintree Nursery (Washington) - Pakistan Mulberry. LOL ... everyone thinks I'm crazy for actually planting a mulberry but what the heck. Tree arrived about 3 weeks after ordering, bareroot, and it was huge ... almost 5 feet and the top had been pruned. Buds are just swelling now but it's a very nice tree. I would order from them again.

Ison's (Georgia) - Muscadine Grape. This is one of the group of nurseries in southern Georgia (I mentioned the problems associated with some of them in another post). They didn't have many feedback postings on Garden Watchdog, but most importantly, out of what they did have only 1 was negative. These were the first to arrive and they were also bareroot. I ordered one standard 2 year and one two year plus vine. When they're available they have a picture showing the two sizes. The vines I received were not even close to the size shown in the pictures but to be honest, I wasn't expecting them to be. They were decent sized, price was good, and they appeared healthy. Both are now leafing out and doing well. I would order from them again.

There you have it. Primarily posted this in case others are looking for nurseries that sell good stock. There are a lot of less than reputable businesses out there so I think it helps to hear feedback.

Brian

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor