SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thane_gw

My neighbor's building an ugly retaining wall

thane
16 years ago

My neighbor just started building an ugly retaining wall out of plain concrete blocks. I'm worried it's going to be an eyesore, and I'm also a bit concerned that it's slightly on my side of the property line. I'm not sure how much fuss to make when it might be 6" or 1', and I'm not even sure exactly where the property line is.

Furthermore, while he's working out there, he's trampling all over the soil around my recently-planted mock orange and wax myrtle. I just went out and told him I was concerned about too much foot traffic around my new shrubs, and he kind of blew me off, saying something like "Well, there's not much access here." I felt like telling him he can't come on my property at all anymore, but I don't want to damage neighbor relations.

It seems like it'll take a professional survey to determine with real accuracy where the property line is, and that's over $1,000. I'm also planning to investigate whether there are any building codes in Bellevue that specify that a retaining wall has to be a certain distance back from a property line.

Any advice on this situation? Any similar experiences?

Thanks!

Comments (23)