SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eightzoner

Does this tree exist?

13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm a lurker coming out of hiding to ask for help. I want to add a tree to the front yard of my 50 x 100 north-facing city lot.

The site is full sun, and there is approximately 30' between my house and the sidewalk. There are currently no trees in the yard aside from foundation shrubs/perennials.

I'm hoping to meet certain criteria and am seeking your suggestions.

- Max height 25ish' with equal or lesser spread

- reliable fall color (unlike my vine maple)with a preference for orange/red tones over yellow

- reasonably drought tolerant for our dry summers

- will reach 15' within 10 years to block out grumpy neighbors across the street from my dining room/kitchen view

- nice if it supplied food for songbirds, but somewhat wary as we have a gazillion crows around here

My foundation shrubs include a yellow-flowering azalea, a red flowering rhodo and a pink flowering rhodo.

On the west side of our property and to the south is a naturalized ravine with dogwood, cedar, vine maple, oregon grape, and the odd chestnut and apple tree spread from local yards.

I would prefer something that suits this woodland environment.

For those of you wondering about the aesthetics of the house: Our house is a typical post-war bungalow with multicolored bottle stucco that reads a drab gray from a distance and only shows its color up close (lots of brown glass with less green, white, blue and even purple.) We have a dark gray-blue fence and the house trim will soon match.

TIA for your suggestions!

Comments (38)