SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggingthedirt

The trouble with heuchera

diggingthedirt
12 years ago

I widened what passes for a foundation planting in front of my house, and added a brick border to work as a mowing strip. My main goals were to simplify mowing and give the plants in some over-planted parts of the existing bed a little more breathing room.

Of course I couldn't leave the space empty for long, and I picked up 7 of my favorite silver/burgundy heuchera (Silver Scrolls, I think). The trouble is, the new foliage doesn't really compliment the plants behind it; an old rhody, a Nandina domestica, some hellebores, and a gigantic volunteer asparagus patch (oh, I can imagine how this sounds - not pretty!).

So, I'd like to plant something between/around them, to tie things together somewhat. All the candidates, things I've got stashed here and there, like tiny thymes, Liriope, Hakonechloa - are way too bright - any of them would clash horribly with the heuchera foliage. Something that would compliment that silver/burgundy color, like gray-leaved cottage pinks, might make a bad situation worse, in terms of the background plants.

Do you have any suggestions for a ground-cover type plant that would complement a burgundy & silver heuchera, and would make it less jarring next to "normal" green foliage?

Comments (10)