SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
p_mac

2011 Spring Fling/Swap Invite

p_mac
13 years ago

It may be a bit premature...but I'm thinking it's time to get this party started. The Garden Gnomes have been at work because I tried to find how far in advance we started planning last year...with no luck. Ugh....

We're once again offering to host at our place on Saturday, April 30. It's after Easter Sunday. This will also be hopefully after our last freeze (and I say that with much doubt because Farmers Almanac is suggesting a late March snow!). We should all have healthy seedlings to offer, as well as other garden goodies to share like pots, cardboard, seeds, etc. We will have a table for "pre-arranged" trades and swaps also.

If there's something you're specifically searching for...or have to offer, this would be a good place to post it if you're planning on attending. I know I saw a lot of "wishes" granted at last year's swap.

It will be the "usual"...respond here and as it gets closer (like within 2 weeks), I will send you a personal e-mail with the address and a map. I've changed my e-mail link on my member page so hopefully, we won't have those problems like last year. We usually have a pot-luck lunch. I'll provide fried chicken and probably some brisket so everyone else just bring anything that goes with that. We had great fun last year with the variety of "door-prizes" so put your thinking caps on!

Hope this is something that all of you can mark on your calendar! I really look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!

Paula

Comments (146)

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Seedmama - don't MAKE me go there!!!! You know what they say about blondes & redheads? Well, nevermind. I'll tell ya later!

I'm just PICKLED TINK that so many of you from the NE part of our great state are going to be attending!!!!! Carol - aren't you so proud?!?

Looks like this may go beyond the allowed thread posts which is what....100? So if this grows while I'm out working in the garden - someone start a thread for 2011 Spring Fling II if I don't catch it in time?!?! April is turning out to be an incredibly busy month for me with Baby Showers, Neice Wedding, Easter, etc. The best part is I get to end it with all of you!

Paula

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Paula, It will go through 150.

You OKC folks had better watch out because you may be outnumbered next year and we will have to find a Tulsa location. Of course, about anywhere you could have it will be a long drive for me, but I'll still be there. LOL

I am excited that Dorothy and her DH are coming, but she has almost as far to drive as I do.

• Related Discussions

New: Incredible Edibles: Spring Fling Swap

Q

Comments (1)
    ... bump
    ...See More

UPDATE: Central Indiana Spring Plant Swap 2011

Q

Comments (19)
    I was hoping perhaps we could get together with the lady who puts these together and reschedule this event. I was very much looking forward to it. Perhaps the 6th, or the 13th of May? If it has to be the 29th, perhaps we could just pick another park. Wiki has a list of Indy parks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parks_in_Indianapolis Or we could try the Indy Parks site: http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPR/Pages/IndyParksHome.aspx I wonder if there is anything I can do to help raise support or get the word out? Perhaps we could send out e-mails to previous participants or open a "Meet Up" event? If the lady hosting no longer wishes to host thise year, perhpas a few of us could pull it together anyway?
    ...See More

2011 Spring Fling Thread II

Q

Comments (147)
    wow....so many questions!!! And you guys think I'm paying attention to details??? LOL!!! Sharon - Bless Your Heart!!! And I don't mean that in a bad way at all!!! Last year, I tried to meet everyone at the driveway to introduce myself...and give them a name tag with their screen name also, along with any others they brought with them. Just ask Imp...it really got comical trying to spell everyone's name and then their screen name. GOOD TIMES! I intend...(read "best laid plans...") to do the same thing this year. I'll buy the tags if you would like to volunteer to take over when you get here??? That would be a TREMENDOUS help!!! And Seedmama...yes, ma'am!!! I've rented from the same company as last year. VERY clean and useful. It works well for everyone so they don't have to hem-haw around and ask..."where's the bathroom?". If anyone wants to contribute to help off-set that cost, it would be very appreciated. But I've got to say that I know/knew that was just part of trying to provide the most comfortable setting for my garden buddies. We can handle it but help is greatly appreciated. OMG...is it REALLY just less than a week???? REALLY??? You're coming??? I'm so excited!!! I can HARDLY WAIT!!! It's almost better than Christmas!!! And Carol II - (cjlambert)...so sorry you're going to be having to unpack boxes instead of being with us. But I've done it...it's really yucky. We'll be thinking of you and maybe next year? And I think we're going to have to start a Thread III...because the closer it gets........????? Countdown REALLY begins!!!! Paula
    ...See More

Spring Fling ideas?

Q

Comments (46)
    Erod, The Spring Fling is a once a year Spring event when we gather in a designated location. We bring our extra seedlings, divided perennials, unwanted flower pots or anything related to gardening to share. In addition we bring a door prize or two and share those through a random drawing. We bring a dish to share with everyone and have a picnic. It is a casual event and children are invited, but the host or hostess has to know in advance how many will be attending. For several years now, it has been held in a private location because in a public location we had people just wander in and take things that were meant for forum members. We don't publish the location, as a rule, but we publish an announcement, and you have a set period of time to request and invitation from the host or hostess. They normally ask you to send your request early because we could reach capacity. Although there is no charge for the gathering, the hostess may incur expenses, so those of us who can will send her a few dollars before the event. Usually it provides us with a portable-potty, or could be used for the kids activities, etc. Door prizes can be anything that relate to gardening. We have had garden hats, gloves, fertilizer, potting soil, a collection of seed packs, garden art, hummingbird feeders, and one time even a bottle of fresh goat milk. It doesn't even have to be new. If it is in good condition and you know longer use it in your garden, maybe someone else will. It is a fun day, and gives everyone a chance to put a face to the name, and to usually take home something new for their garden. Here's another thing we do. I never have a garden without Sungold tomato plants, but this year I don't have any. I didn't know that I was out of seed but found that I had an empty pack when I started to plant. My seeds were already going in late, so I didn't have time to order more. I'll put out a call to anyone that can bring a couple to the Fling, and someone will likely put my name on one or two and they will be there for me to bring home. I may have something that someone else needs. I don't have many plants to share this year, so I'll bring lots of food for the picnic. LOL Don't miss it. It's fun.
    ...See More
  • Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Seedmama, You know I had nothing to do with OkieTim stuffing your vehicle with plants, right? I'm sure he was just "helping" you make sure you had enough plants to fill up your garden. He IS a gardening enabler, you know.

As a blonde myself (although nowadays Ms. Clairol helps keep it blonde....), I won't touch that statement with a ten-foot-pole, but there are some days when I am more blonde than other days too.

Paula, I'm so excited to see so many folks from NE OK coming as well. This is looking like it will be the best-attended Spring Fling/Plant Swap ever.

Carol, Y'all could plan one for NE OK and OkieTim and I would drive that far to attend. However, I do think Paula's place is perfectly located in the center of the state. Face it, for anyone not in central OK, there's always going to be a long drive no matter where it is held, but it certainly is worth the drive!

Dawn

• devilwoman
    13 years ago

Paula, could I add one more, please? My daughter called yesterday and asked when the meet would be. She'd like to come, too. She'd like to get some tomato and maybe other plants. She tried last year to grow some on her patio, but bugs got them. Maybe Dawn could help her with some advice since Dawn is from the Fort Worth area, and that's where she lives now. She won't have plants to bring, but she has promised to make and bring what she terms the "world's best coconut cake."

Of course, she was a bit loopy yesterday. She injured her back trying to move an elderly patient and is on Tramadol and Flexeril so who knows if she'll remember the conversation, but I promise to remind her as often as required. ;-)

Debra

• devilwoman
    13 years ago

OH, and, seedmama, I too would just love a cutting from a lavendar crepe myrtle! I've tried for a couple of years to find one in the local nurseries to no avail. Could I please, please, please have one, too?

Debra

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Debra,

I'll be happy to bring you a cutting too, but keep in mind all the cuttings will be somewhat small. I started this baby from seed three years ago, so she's not full grown yet.

And the request for a reminder goes out to you as well. Anyone want to guess why this blonde wears a ponytail? I'll not keep you in suspense. It's to hide the valve stem.

Seedmama

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Coconut cake???? I CAN be bought! Of course you can bring your daughter!! Hope she gets to feeling better. And if you get the chance, grab that other sister of yours! I'd love to see you all!

And although my place is great because it's so centrally located, I too would be willing and happy to travel to another part of this state for our spring meet! I love a road trip and I'd just be happy to get together with you all, regardless of the location! I don't hold the license on location, ya know. Just going on convenience for the time being.

I'm trying to stay away from carbs to loose some weight, but I'll hold on to the dream of coconut cake to reward myself in a month!

Paula

• lisakeel1
    13 years ago

Ok, I guess you need to add another neebie and husband to the list. This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm not sure yet what I'll bring.I would like to bring some purple passion vine, but I'm not sure if it will be up yet, it tends to move around. I have TONS of purple garlic plants, a few red/dark pink hardy hibiscus, a few hyacinth bean seeds, cuttings of curly willow tree.Will also bring food.
    Again this sounds like a lot of fun,
    Lisak

• singnfool
    13 years ago

I'd like to come! Did I miss where and what time? There were so many posts... just skimmed through. I will bring purple speckled iris, peach iris, pink hardy hibiscus seed, and a red velvet cake with a layer of cheesecake in the middle to share... None of my seedlings are nice enough to trade :-( Lanna

• ksokiegonnab
    13 years ago

If the invite is still open, please add two more. As far as things to trade, I can't promise. I will just have to wait & see what comes up! Since I don't even know what I will fix for lunch today, I can't possibly predict what I will prepare a month & 1/2 from now. I will watch here for driving instructions, where to park, etc.

• rebeccca
    13 years ago

I'll be there, too. Another newbie and Tulsa resident. My 11 year old girl is also planning to attend.

• OklaMoni
    13 years ago

Paula, add me to the list of "want to come", but try as I did, I didn't get any volunteers yet to lead the 35 mile FreeWheel training ride that morning. Which could mean, I won't be able to come....

Rats.

Moni... hoping someone else will come along and offer to lead the ride that day.

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh Moni!!!! I hope someone volunteers also!!!! I know you're "cycle" duties prevented you from coming last year, so I was hoping since it was a week later...maybe???

For the others, it's Saturday, April 30, sometime around noon, give or take an hour or two. Last year, Dawn & Carol were my Angels...getting here around 10:30 to help us set up and hold my nervous hand. This year, I'm cool. We'll probably call everyone together around 12:30 or so to eat. Other than that...I have no time deadlines or expectations. DO NOT WORRY about bringing any plants, only IF you have extra's you want to share. Someone seems to always have bulbs of some kind, extra seedlings, extra pots, etc. SERIOUSLY....there's always plenty to share. This year I've got LOTS of cardboard to share if anyone needs any. Nice, big pieces. Bring some kind of dish to contribute to the meal (doesn't have to feed everyone, just some) and maybe something to contribute to the door prizes...it can even be a package of plant labels! ALWAYS USEFUL! Bring a chair..or not. The only time anyone sits is when eating...and then some still stand. I rent a Chem-Can that I have set in close proximity...so no worries there either. (That's what Seedmama called the "Johnny on the Spot). Come and go as you want/need. It really is a very laid-back get-together. Do Not Dress Up....

Chandra - just bring chairs for you family. Priya is going to need to sit some. No, we don't need a micro-phone system or anything like that...yet! LOL. We've got horse-shoes and several soccer balls for the kids too.

OH!!!! BRING YOUR CAMERA'S!!! I promise....you'll want pictures.

Looks like closer to the date we'll have to start another thread for everyone to confirm what they "might" be bringing. Don't forget - someone needs to bring paper plates, eating utensils, napkins...and maybe some table coverings besides Dawn. You Tulsa - NE Okla. bunch can snatch up on that!

This is going to be SO MUCH FUN!!! Can't wait to see you all!

Paula

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

OK, I'll get plates, utensils and napkins. Easy-peasy.

• joellenh
    13 years ago

I think Chanra shoul bring his mics for karaoke. How funny would THAT be???

Jo

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol - DONE...and done! Thank you so much. After last year - you deserve to bring something easy. Dawn - how about you bring a couple of table covers? OK? DONE...and done. Now everyone else can focus on the food...because I bought a WHOLE case of styrofoam cups at Sam's. Nothing else needed in the form of tableware...except a couple of tables...and I think we've probably got that covered too!

Jo - um...gardening karaoke? Does that mean everyone should memorize Ricky Nelson's "Went to a garden party...to reminisce with my ol' friends...." I LOVE THAT TUNE!!! But I don't think it'll last long enough, be dark enough...or will there be the distribution of enough alcohol for that to happen! But it's a thought if all of us "southerners" travel up to the NE part of the state next year! LMBO!!!!

Yep...we're gonna have to start another thread soon...

• seedmama
    13 years ago

Yes! We'll sing Veggie Tales!

If you like to talk to tomatoes,
    If a squash can make you smile,
    If you like to waltz with potatoes,
    Up and down the produce aisle...

Have we got a show for you!

All: VeggieTales, VeggieTales, VeggieTales, VeggieTales,
    VeggieTales, VeggieTales, VeggieTales, VeggieTales!
    Bob: Broccoli! Celery! Gotta be
    All: VeggieTales!
    Junior: Lima beans! Collard greens! Peachy keen!
    Larry: Cauliflower! Sweet and sour! Half an hour!
    All: There's never-ever-ever-ever-ever been a show like VeggieTales!
    There's never-ever-ever-ever-ever been a show like VeggieTales!
    It's time for VeggieTales!

Seedmama
    Mother of singing Seedlings

• joellenh
    13 years ago

Yeah next year we'll throw a big drunk TULSA party and everyone can pitch tents in a yard and sleep it off.

One of my kids' favorite songs is

H2O+O2+Sun by Rebecca Frezza and Big Truck,,, it's a kiddie song, but you can hear a clip here.

http://www.bigtruckmusic.com/roadtriplyrics9.html

"I brought some seeds to plant and sow
    Come let's watch my garden grow
    These tiny seeds are full of life
    So take good care to plant them right

Give them water
    Clean air
    And sun light
    Give them water
    Clean air
    And sun light

It'll take some time for these plants to grow
    Nature's clock is neither fast nor slow
    Soon you'll start to see them sprout
    Those tiny buds just pop right out

Give them water
    Clean air
    And sun light
    Give them water
    Clean air
    And sun light

I'm waiting and wondering and watching all night
    Will I wake up tomorrow to a beautiful sight?
    Full of flowers in hues
    Orange, red yellow, blue
    My garden' s in bloom
    What a spectacular view

So when you plant those seeds
    With care and pride
    Nature's magic comes alive

Give them water
    Clean air
    And sun light
    Give them water
    Clean air
    And sun light
    Give them water
    Clean air
    And sun light"

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Paula, Sure, I'll bring table covers, but that sounds almost too easy. So, if something else pops up that you need, let me know.

Y'all can sing if you want to, but I won't be singing...or everyone will start packing up and leaving.

Dawn

• cjlambert
    13 years ago

This is sounding like too much fun! Can't wait to meet all of you! I've finally got some chile seeds sprouted, and hope to have extra of those, and will have some perennials to bring, too. Food is not my strong suit, but I'll come up with something edible. :)

Tulsa folks - let's get together on the driving, carpooling, caravaning, or whatever. Looks like we may be in the majority!

• chefgumby
    13 years ago

Can you count me in tentatively this year? I'm taking a fishing trip down to Slaughterville that day, and could definitely swing in by the afternoon. We're in for some snacks and extra seedlings if we can make it.

Dale, OKC

• ezzirah011
    13 years ago

Paula - I am trying to email you to get your address and location of your house but the address thingy this website does not appear to be working. Is there anyway you can email me your email, then I can reply?

It's early in the morning and I cannot think of another way to get your address safely, if you can please let me know and I will follow your instructions.

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ezzirah011 - you do not have an e-mail link on your "Member Page". =( You can edit that so I can e-mail you. Might be why it didn't go thru.

Just so no one else worries, I'll be sending you all an e-mail soon to confirm (providing you have an e-mail link on your Member page. I already have some of yours). If you will respond to that, I'll have your e-mail addresses. Then about 2 weeks before the Fling, I'll e-mail you again with a map and directions. Last year I was a real dork....I was so excited and green. I posted my address right here on the internet! sheesh...thank goodness nothing bad came of it.

• cjlambert
    13 years ago

Paula - just tried to email you, and got a message "can't find that user". I've been unable to change my profile to include emailing, and wanted to email you so I don't miss out on the party!

• cjlambert
    13 years ago

Well, I guess I shoulda looked at my page before getting in a tither about not being able to get emails! Paula and soonergrandmom both emailed me, so I'm happy! :)

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alrighty now - GROUP! I've sent e-mails to everyone that RSVP'd so that I can compile my list of those to send a map. (There are a few of you that I correspond with often, so don't feel left out. I've already got your number! LOL!)

There are also a few of you that don't have an e-mail link on your member pages so please, link to my member-page and send me an e-mail. (and let's hope the Garden Gnomes aren't messin' with us!) These peeps are:

ezzirah011
    seeker1122
    markyd
    jcheckers
    newhippie (Got the message you fixed yours, but it's MIA)
    Sarahfaery
    greenacreslady
    debi1
    singnfool
    ksokiegonnab
    rebeccca

If for some reason the Gnomes are at it again, come back here and holler, please? and thank you. Whew - glad this part of Hostess Duty is over! Now, gotta go water the cool season veggies...and flowers!

Paula

• joellenh
    13 years ago

I didn't get an email. :(

• shankins123
    13 years ago

Paula...I didn't get an e-mail AND when I tried to e-mail you through your member page...you don't exist, lol.
    So...try me again, please!! If I still don't get anything from you...I'll post my e-mail here in code :~)
    I do know that Katie and I will come, and maybe her wonderful husband, too, although his family will be in town to watch him run the Memorial Marathon the very next day (and he wants to be sensitive to spending time with them)(but he'd really like to come!).

Thanks!
    Sharon

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharon - I think I've got yours from last year. I'll go diggin'...no worries.

Jo - PHOOUUEEEYY! I've sent an e-mail to Dody to hopefully give you a link.

As a last resort for those of you that don't hear from me in your "In-Box", I'll post it in "code" like Sharon said.

• impatience_7
    13 years ago

I would like to come again. I can bring the Ramen coleslaw and some Helebore babies. I would like some ornamentals and a few HARDY old fashioned tomatoes . Dawn probably has some of those in her massive tomato giveaways. I should cbe able to ome up with some door prizes as well.

I sure met a lot of good folks last year. I think I'll try to bring a chair this time. Lol

• ezzirah011
    13 years ago

Paula - I tried you again and couldn't get it. Is there someone else whose member page is working that I can email to and have them pass it on?

• joellenh
    13 years ago

Now I got it! Thanks!

• piscesfish
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member (I actually joined because of this thread, but I've been reading the forum for months). Would there be room for two more (me and hubby)? For food, I thought about bringing a vegetable korma (curry dish) and rice. And for a door prize, homemade vanilla extract. I also have heirloom watermelons to give away, along with eggplants and probably some more too. I could start some more lemon cucumbers or very rare French Delice de la table melons, if anyone is interested in them. I hope there's room left at the party for me to come!

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi piscesfish!

And welcome! Any and all of those plants, vanilla and eats sound great!

If you'll link to my Member Page and send me an e-mail, please? I'll respond about the Fling. If it won't let you, please come back here and post. We're having issues with the Garden Gnomes again. I think they're cranky because we've had no rain. ha!

Paula

• rebeccca
    13 years ago

Paula, I can't email you from your member page. I hadn't realized that I clicked to keep my email private so I'll head on over and undo that.

Let me know what else to try.

r

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well, DAG-NAB-IT!!!

I've edited my member page to show my addy to "Members" only. I'll leave it like that for a few days in hopes it will help. Someone let me know if it does/doesn't?

Imp - shoot me an e-mail from there? or I may have yours from last year. Maybe I can even spell your name correctly right off the bat this year! LOL

Paula

• piscesfish
    13 years ago

Hi Paula,

Oh good! I'm so happy that there is room left. I tried emailing you, but I guess the garden gnomes are cranky, because it says you don't exist!

Kelly

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm beginning to think I'm a figment of my own imagination. I tried it WHILE I was logged in and it told me the same thing. Maybe my Imaginary Self can grow some HUGE imaginary veggies this year?!

I've e-mailed the tech-help peeps of this forum. We'll see what they say.

imaginary p-mac

• impatience_7
    13 years ago

Good Grief! I am getting an error message when I click on your email, Paula. Perhaps you have my email from last year or I'll try to find yours.

imp

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

If any of y'all want to, try sending the e-mail to me through "My Page" and I'll forward it to Paula. We did have some success with that last year, but of course, it may not work at all this year.

Dawn

• piscesfish
    13 years ago

I was wondering if anyone coming to the Fling had any extra mint plants and (maybe, if I'm lucky) a Cherokee Purple tomato? Thanks!

Kelly

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Ezzirah and KellyP,

I received your emails and forwarded them to Paula so she should have your email addresses and will be able to correspond with you directly instead of going through GW.

Kelly,

I have all kinds of tomato plants, but won't know if I have an extra Cherokee Purple until my planting is done. If I have one, I'll bring it to the swap for you. If I don't have CP, I have some like Indian Stripe and Cherokee Chocolate that are almost identical and will bring them.

Dawn

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Kelly,
    I will bring MINT for you. It is growing like crazy occupied entire bed in one season, if I won't contain it will send suckers to near by beds. Please send reminder via email one/two days before the date so that I will not forget-Chandra

• piscesfish
    13 years ago

Thank you Chandra and thank you Dawn. I'm very excited.

Kelly

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

I will also have orange mint to share.

Imp! I'm so glad you're coming! The helleborus I got last year is doing so well! I want more!!

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would like a small start of orange mint, please, Tigerdawn!!! And Kelly, if Chandra "forgets" (although I just can't see that happening), I've got some growing and we can dig you up some. Mine is on the outside of the garden...to lure away some unwanted insects so let's try to get it out of Chandra's bed first but I've gotcha covered if not.

Also, we have a PLETHORA of Chickasaw (wild) plums. Tigerdawn, you took some home last year, how did they do? I've got about 6 or 7 that have insisted on coming up in the OG (Original Garden)...and I'm determined to dig them out once and for all this year. We've also got them coming up in other areas that we just mow down. They have a really pretty bark in the winter months. If time permits, I'll pot some of those up too if anyone is interested. I took a huge tub of starts to Ilene (who once was a member here) last September and I'm very happy to report that many survived the winter in Bartlesville!

We're close to needing to start another thread. If someone gets there before I do, please name it "2011 Spring Fling Thread II"...or something like that so we can find it later.

Oh mercy...I'm listening to the 10 o'clock weather and looks like some of us may need to replace some things due to a freeze tonite. This "Fling" might turn out to be quite active!

• joellenh
    13 years ago

Paula,

I would LOVE a wild plum if you have one to spare. Tell me what I can bake for you and it's yours :)

Jo

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

Unfortunately the plum didn't make it but I want to try again and this time I'm going to be prepared!

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Since this thread is about to die, and I'm sure it is taking way to long to load for those of you who have dial-up connections, I am starting a new thread.

The name is "2011 Spring Fling Thread II", so please use the new thread for any additional posts. Carol

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Click on Link below for the new Spring Fling thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2011 Spring Fling (continued)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living