SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Forecast Snow Accumulations

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

It looks like the forecast snow accumulations vary wildly depending on how far west/north you are.

You can see the current NWS forecast for regional snow accumulations on the linked NWS webpage below.

I am thrilled to report we are forecast to get 2" or less here. Some of y'all may get a whole lot more than than. A lot more. It is looking like a lot of us may lose our poor little tiny fruit crops.

I'm going to mulch my onions/potatoes/sweet alyssum/herbs tomorrow with hay. I don't know if it will help, but it won't hurt.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: NWS Enhanced Weather Page

Comments (19)

• elkwc
    15 years ago

Dawn,
    Yes not sounding good for us but then there is several different opinions on the track and amounts. Guess anywhere from 2-26 inches. Hopefully with the wind they are predicting there won't be that much. Don't need it with the wind. Very hard on livestock. Then some are saying the wind won't be as bad as others predict. Have seen wind predictions from 15 mph to 60 mph. I got some things ready tonight. Have debated about the onions. Think if we get a fair amount of snow and it don't blow it all off they will be fine. And afraid straw will just blow away unless I had something to lay over it. Will watch the weather tomorrow as it gets closer and see what path it takes. Hope everyone survives fine. Another worry is the rain then turing cold. Could lose power. Hopefully not for long. Jay

• Lisa_H OK
    15 years ago

I found all my poppy seeds....I need to plant them tomorrow!!!

Lisa

• Related Discussions

Forecast for tonight: 29 degrees, possible snow!

Q

Comments (2)
    I'm in the same boat. I don't get too worried about 29 deg though, especially if there is any kind of wind. The wind helps keep the frost off. I get worried when temps get below 26 or so and we won't be near that.
    ...See More

Did the weather forecast really say SNOW?

Q

Comments (12)
    We have snow on the ground right now. It is + .4 degrees.celsius which would be about 33 for those of you on Farhenheit. It has been just the crappiest day ever with high winds and either blowing snow or rain all day. We sat eating our Mother's Day lunch looking at the snow blowing outside the restaurant! Fortunately it hasn't cleared off yet like they said it would. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it stays cloudy and windy so no frost settles. I covered all of my hostas, some grasses, my tree peony and as many of my true lilies as I could. My daylilies are on their own I am afraid. Too many to even think about covering. Tomorrow night is supposed to be the same so I think I will just leave it all there. Here's hoping none of us get any frost tonight or tomorrow night! Debbie
    ...See More

10-12'' of snow forecast here

Q

Comments (8)
    You must be in Minnesota or Northern Wisconsin. I'm in the south end of Wisc and we'll get 1.5 to 2.0 inches of rain. The snow line is only 2 counties to the north of me. Blizzard warnings are out for Duluth/Superior. Tmeps have been holding the 30s, but my stupid spring flowers continue to grow. Silly things. Saw a new bird at the feeder today. I think it was a Least Flycatcher. He's a way too early. Should've waited until the tree leaves start to pop out. Almost all of the Juncos are gone. The yellow finches are begining to change to their summer colors.
    ...See More

Snow in the forecast this Sunday

Q

Comments (27)
    We're still having a nice warm, dry fall (severe drought actually). But we're supposed to have our first frost Sunday night. I'm preparing my container plants to go under the house already. And I guess my days of picking fresh tomatoes will soon be over. I have quite a few green ones still on the vines and will pick those this weekend. Longest growing season ever.
    ...See More
  • Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jay,

I started to say that you could place tree branches on top of the hay to hold it down, but then I realized that you may not have a lot of trees there. Once, when high wind in the 50-60 mph range threatened, I laid down some poultry wiring and some old woven wire fencing with 2" x 3" squares on top of hay mulch and then laid some boards on the edges of the fencing and that held down the hay. We spent quite a lot of time out with the fire dept. that day because we had power lines down on the state highway, and on the way home I saw trampolines blown far from home.....hundreds of yards if not farther, but my hay stayed on top of those onions!

I hope you get the 2" and not the 26". I do dread the high wind. Lately it seems like we lose trees in the woods every time we have a really hard wind. This year it has been trees on the edge of the woods closest to the garden. I've been wanting to cut that area back some as the shade is trying to encroach on the north edge of the garden, but I guess the wind is cutting the area back for me. I've been hoping we could get out there with the chain saw and clear the downed trees but now that the rattlesnakes are out, I am less eager to get into the woods and do that.

Lisa,

Me too. I dug out the poppy seeds yesterday and I'm going to scatter them today.

Dawn

• owiebrain
    15 years ago

My kids are jealous. We'll get a very light dusting if we get any at all. My poor kids are so snow deprived here. LOL

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Diane,

We're pretty snow deprived here in Marietta too. We're more likely to get sleet or a "wintery mix" of freezing rain/sleet/snow here than actual snow. I hope y'all get some snow for the kids to play in, although I do hate to think of all the mess associated with the snow.

We have a good chance of thunderstorms this afternoon and evening here in Love County. I hope y'all have a chance of some there too.

Dawn

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

Dawn, did you get any rain on Wednesday? It was raining quite heavy while I was driving by Marietta, all the way to the airport. Then on the way back, it quit a bit before I got to Oklahoma.

I sure was thinking of you.

Moni

• elkwc
    15 years ago

Still can't tell for sure what will happen here. Some are saying now the heaviest snowfall will be in Beaver county OK. Here we are seeing everything from 6-26 inches mainly with a few way out on the outer reaches at 24 inches. Hopefully with the wind they are predicting we are in the lower range. Temp ranges also vary widely. I've seen as low as mid teens for Friday night. 32-34 tomorrow and 34-42 on Sat..
    I'm heading out now to see what I can do to cover the onions a little. But if we can get a little snow cover and it don't blow off should be ok. Hopefully won't get stranded at work tomorrow. Horseradish arrived today but will have to wait. The first of my tomato plants sown inside peeked up today.
    Owie I will be glad to send you ten inches or so of this snow in exchange for an inch of rain!!!!
    Hope you all get some good moisture. Know we all need it. The thing with the snow and wind is you don't get it where you need it. Jay

• owiebrain
    15 years ago

You've got a deal, Jay! We got 1.25" day before yesterday, .25" yesterday, and another .25" so far today. More supposed to be coming tonight, tomorrow, and Saturday.

I know much of the state has been droughty for seemingly ever but we do okay here in our little neck of the woods most of the time. Come July and August, I'll be changing my tune and whining about no rain -- you can all roll your eyes at me then. ;-)

Diane

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Moni,

It rained here? Not at our house. It may have rained in Thackerville or Marietta, but our rain gauge was empty and our ground was dry. When I talked to DH last night he said it had rained on and off there, but we got "passed over" here.

Today we had a very heavy fog for most of the day and that gave us an official 2/100s of an inch at our Mesonet station so far for today.

I have been hoping for rain to help break the drought, but it isn't falling.

Jay,

I don't know whether I should say I hope you get some snow so you'll have some moisture (I know snow doesn't melt down to much real moisture though) or that I hope it misses you because even a tiny bit of moisture is better than none, so how about this: I hope you get the weather you need!

Yea for the tomatoes bravely sticking their little necks up out of the soil! Just a little reminder that spring is going to come eventually.

Yes, poor Owie! You may not know this, Jay, but Diane gets more rain than your place and my place combined most years, so don't give her too much sympathy. : ) Diane, please send your extra rain this way....we had only 22" last year and 3" this year so far and we have creeks that have been dry for 3 years. I don't know what y'all do to make it rain over there, but we need to start doing it here!

Owie, I promise not to roll my eyes at you in July and August because I know that, no matter how much rain you get before July and August, if no rain is falling then, your clay turns into concrete (mine does too).

I'm really not expecting snow in Love County, y'all, and probably not even freezing temps (so we'll probably get both). For those of you in Kansas or northwestern OK or the Texas panhandle, look at the news footage from Colorado....because that is what is headed your way! It looks scarey!

Dawn

• Denise Duffy
    15 years ago

Was wondering about covering my double knock out roses before the snow hits us in southwest ok later today? They have all that new growth. What would you guys do?
    Denise

• elkwc
    15 years ago

Still not a lot here. Haven't been out. Just looked but the drifts I see aren't very high. No agreement on today. Might basically be over by 1-7 depending on who you listen too. The wind will continue to blow. I won't even guess amounts till I'm out but can tell we haven't received the 8 inches or more some predicted last night. I'm glad all of you in the way of the severe storms got by unharmed. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Denise,

Roses can take a lot of cold and a lot of snow. I've had sleet and snow covering the blooms and the, the next day once the snow and sleet had melted, you couldn't even tell from looking at the plant that we'd had snow.

I probably wouldn't cover them at all. If it snows, the snow will insulate them.

If y'all are going to have a lot of wind, attempting to cover them would be an exercise in frustration because high winds are accompanying the snow.

Jay,

It sounds like you've been lucky so far and I am very glad to hear it.

If last night's storms had gone on the standard tornado path of southwest to northeast movement, I probably wouldn't be posting today because, at the very least, our power would be out. The storm cells went due east and even veered southeast a couple of times. I am so grateful.

I hope the snow isn't too bad at your place and that you don't get trapped at work today.

At Kenton, in the OK panhandle, they are reporting whiteout conditions and 4-5' snowdrifts.

I need to get outside and walk the grumpy dog in the next hour before the cold front arrives here. I'd rather walk in 60-degree temps than those in the 40s.

Sometime after lunch today, I need to carry 10 flats of seedlings back inside from the screened in back porch to the guest room/plant room upstairs. I'm kind of dreading that, but I'm not going to chance leaving them out. We're only expecting a low of 34 degrees in Marietta, but in our low-lying location near the Red River, we sometimes drop as low as 10 degrees colder than the forecasted low, so I've learned not to take chances on the overnight lows.

Dawn

• tulsabrian
    15 years ago

We have snow in Tulsa ... and a lot of it ... looks to be around 6 inches. Very heavy and very wet. This follows 1 day and a half of rain where I'm guessing we got 1.5 to 2 inches but my rain gauge is laying on my kitchen counter so I'm guessing on that. I would say we came close to making up the moisture deficit we had for 2009 for this area.

Supposed to go to 23 degrees tonight. I think that takes care of the peaches and probably most of the other trees that had leafed out ... rose of sharon, an old old old hydrangea and the big monster in the SW corner (I've never figured out what it is but it's huge).

Everything else was pulled into the garage ... paw paw and mulberry saplings, rose of sharon, passion flower, etc.

Brian

• elkwc
    15 years ago

We ended up with 9-10 inches of average wet snow. Not real wet but not all fluff either. Drifts 4 ft and higher but then a lot with an inch to bare. The snow didn't end up where we needed it. Was 19 last night and supposed to be 20's tonight. Hoping this was the last hurrah. Jay

• Macmex
    15 years ago

We had snow (heavy wet flakes) blowing around most of Saturday. But it pretty well melted by evening. Still, when I got up this morning I'd say it was 25 F. I had covered our two peach trees and set lights inside the tarps. They looked good. But I think I lost my pears and our new cherry tree, which I covered, but without lights, had frozen leaves. Never did get to do anything with the onions in the garden. Here's hoping...

Wow, Tahlequah seems like a very unfriendly place for peaches. If I hadn't taken extreme measures this would have been the third year we lost all peaches after flowering.

Local wisdom tells us that we have one more freeze yet, just about on Easter.

George

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jay,

I know snow can be a pain, but I would have loved to have some here. It seldom snows in Love County although we usually get sleet once or twice a year.

George,

The first few years we lived here in OK, we got fruit every year. Then, somehow our weather went totally haywire, and the last six years or so it seems like a late freeze has gotten the crop about 2/3s of the time.

We went down to 26 last night and have been below freezing for 5 hours now so my fruit probably will start dropping in a couple of days. We were forecast to go to 32.

Like you, I am waiting for the Easter freeze (or the Easter ice/snow) before I relax and feel like it is safe for warm season crops. And, after last year's May 4th freeze, I'll probably always be a little nervous until the first week of May arrives.

Dawn

• elkwc
    15 years ago

Dawn our low was 31. Supposed to be mid 30's tonight. Will put out some more things in the next few days. Sure that will bring on another cold spell. Had a person ask me recently if I expected a normal year this year and if they could go by the averages. told them I couldn't remember any normal years since I had came here in 1966. If you don't like weather in KS or OK wait 5 minutes and you might. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jay,

Thirty-one! See, life is not fair. Here I was in the Red River Valley at 26 degrees and you were 31 so much farther north.

This is the first year in a long time that I have deliberately waited and put very little at all into the ground in the month of March. We've just had too many "late" freezes the last 3 or 4 years.

About the only thing I have figured out about the weather is that, if the 15-day-forecast shows nothing but days in the 60s and nights in the 50s, all I have to do is put some tomato plants in the ground, and we will mysteriously start dropping into the 30s at night. So, when people around me started planting tomatoes in the ground 2-3 weeks ago, I resisted, and I am glad I did.

I did move all my seedlings back out from the plant shelf and table in the guest room to the screened-in back porch and patio. They are soaking up the sun and looking quite happy.

I hope your snow melts soon, but I also hope you get some real rain soon to put moisture into the ground before you start planting.

Dawn

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Well, I'm sure we went down at least 27, perhaps lower. But Sunday afternoon I uncovered everything and found that even the unheated ones had survived!

George