SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danoman312

Seattle area blue flower suggestions

danoman312
16 years ago

I'm a senior in high school (North Seattle) and want to pull off a non-destructive and intelligent senior prank, and one idea I had was to create a giant "08" of flowers on the hill opposite the school (still school property) across the dip that our track resides in.

I don't know very much about gardening, but the general idea is to be able to plant flowers, say, now or some time soon and have them come up in the spring. That way we could be done with it soon and watch everyone's amazement come spring. They would also have to be fairly hardy plants, since it would be hard to water them consistently.

Currently the (very steep) hill is covered in brush, which some friends and I were going to cut the tops off of so the flowers will be more visible come spring. We thought about pulling everything out, but a friend mentioned landslide protection.

The little bit I remember about gardening told me that bulbs are planted in fall to come up in spring. How much does this time frame differ between different bulbs?

Our school colors are blue and white, so I was thinking white tulips or daffodils or something (I think daffodils would be cheaper, but that was pulled out of thin air). A friend said he didn't think there are any blue bulbed plants, but swore there were blue poppies, so I looked them up and Himalayans actually led me to this forum. He also thought he remembered that poppies are notoriously invasive, which would be nice I suppose, sort of leaving our legacy; coming back in 5 years and still seeing blue poppies on the hill.

I realize poppies aren't bulbs, but I think it would be ok with my group to plant white bulbs in fall/winter and then the poppies at a point where they should bloom around the same time.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (8)