SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pacnwjudy

Scale of privet - ligustrum texanum

pacnwjudy
13 years ago

Hi -

I haven't had too many garden pests or diseases in my fifteen years of gardening. (For instance, if a plant is prone to powdery mildew, I just don't plan it in my garden).

But this year I have a couple of problems. I don't know if part of the cause was the unusually wet spring we had or what. The first thing was around April I saw that my euonymus Canadale Gold, which had been happily growing for 12 years, was struggling and with yellowing leaves, just looking sickly. I believe it was scale of some type and I just took it out. I'm worried that this type of thing can spread to other plants in the garden.

A couple of days ago I noticed bumps on my privet. It looks healthy enough, but I did take a branch to Portland Nursery where they identified it as scale. The privet is also not really close to where the euonymus was. There are five privets and they have considerable size. Taking them out is going to make for a naked wall behind where they were.

Also, because of the scale I started doing quite a bit of pruning with possibly the idea of taking them out. However, I discovered that I loved the plant limbed up and having a sort of fountain-like growth at the top -- it's nice and dramatic. So I'm really dreading taking them out.

At the nursery they directed me to use either a horticultural oil or a systemic pesticide that will work for a year. If I keep the privet, I don't know how much work it will be to continually spraying to control the scale and how safe my other plants will be. Is it effective? And what about the systemic control method? I want to err on the side of caution so far as the scale pest infecting other plants.

Thanks,

Judy

Comment (1)