SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strangepeeps

Clipping Cotyledons off seedlings to stimulate new growth

strangepeeps
15 years ago

Hi I've got a question about clipping off the cotyledons of seedlings that are around 6 weeks old and putting on serveral layers of new leafs. I have already tried this with success, It seems to send a signal to the plant that it doesn't have a few of those old leaves anymore, and then makes the plant start to grow new leaves more rapidly, you know instead of the leafs slowly dying off and wasting plant energy you just clip them and that is that. I have also tried this with other leaves beside's the cotyledon's and have also seen new growth more rapidly. Just seems to lessen the dead weight sooner and allows the plant to grow sooner.I will warn you if you have hundreds of plants that you are growing this will take a little time and patience to figure out which and when the best time to clip them is, I just do it when I am watering or when I am transplanting up into larger pots. I am mainly speaking of Pepper plants as they seem to grow very slow, but I know it would work with eggplant an tomatoes also. And probably others including trees.

Just wondering has anyone also had good experiences with this method of propagation? I know it's not new but it is new for me and may be for many new gardener's.

Also what about picking off a few blossoms off of fruit trees, Especially young trees to allow for faster root growth and more energy then goes into strengthening the tree. Or just picking a few off so that the fruit that you let grow will get more attention from the tree and will grow larger and taste better, and put less stress on the tree. Does anyone do this?

And with tomato transplants some say that it is good to pick off blossoms and new fruit when planting or whenever to allow the plant to focus on new root growth and will then in return the plant will grow stronger and develop into a better plant, which then means for a better and larger crop.

One more ? : Anyone ever tried Mycorrhizal Fungi? It is suppossed to make plant roots grow larger an healthier. I guess it is supposed attach to the roots of plants and it lives off of the roots but it gives the plant enzymes and such which benefit both the plant and fungus living in unison. Im thinking of trying some in the garden, I do till my garden each year, well as of lately because of the hard clay soil I figure I would get better growth by softening the soil so the roots have some where to go. Anyone tried this? Is it good for freshly tilled gardens?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH