SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdprop

When planting tomato, should I clip leaves off underground part?

cdprop
15 years ago

I have never grown tomatoes before, and I'm trying to grow one in a 5 gallon container on my porch. I bought a tomato plant at a garden center that was about 6" tall (Early Girl). The instructions said I should bury about 80% into the ground in order to foster root production. I have a container gardening book that also mentions this. Neither mentioned whether I should just bury the plant as it is, or if I should strip the main stem of leaves and offshoots. Since it didn't mention it, I just buried it as-is, but now I'm reading on a few websites that I should not have done this.

Also, this plant seems to be unlike many of the pictures I see. Many of the pictures I see show one main stem with a few small offshoots with leaves on the end of them. My plant is more bush-like. Though it appears to be one single plant, it looks like it has several main stems (perhaps they're just branches off the main stem, and the main stem was buried in the soil when it was planted in the 6" pot that I purchased?). I'm not quite sure what to do about this. Should I trim it down to one main stem?

Comments (6)