SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdprop

I was about to murder my tomato plant, when...

cdprop
15 years ago

I'm totally new to gardening. I bought a tomato plant maybe6-8 weeks ago that was about 4" tall, and I put it in a 5gal pot. One thing that confused me was that it was a very "bushy" looking plant. Given that tomatoes have compound leaves, and often-times compound leaflets, I had a lot of trouble telling what was a true stem. There didn't seem to be any main stem at all. More like 5 or so main branches going out in all directions.

I was told that the 5gal pot was quite small and that I should try to prune it down to 1-2 stems. At this point I didn't even know about compound leaves and all that, and I couldn't really tell what I should prune, so I just took my best guess.

Fast forward to about a week ago. The plant has about tripled in size, but I've seen no new leaves and no flowers at all. It's as if the stems and leaves that were there 5-7 weeks earlier just got bigger.

Meanwhile, my mother in law, whose tomato plants are younger by several weeks, have a single well-defined stem, and she has a few clusters of flowers.

So, I am convinced that I pruned the plant incorrectly. I must have pruned off the main stem. So, anyway...I've always been interested in seeing how the roots of the plant formed. You know how you're supposed to bury 80% of the plant so that roots can grow out of the buried stems? Well, I was always curious about that, so I figured that even though I wasn't going to get any tomatoes out of this plant, I can at least dig it up and learn about its roots and all that.

So, my plan for the last week or so was to dig the plant up. I just needed to wait until I had time. I didn't bother watering the plant or otherwise taking care of it, since I knew it would be dead soon anyway.

But yesterday I went out to do the dirty job, and look at what I found:

A stem shot out of the soil, presumably branched from the buried portion of the plant, and there's a single flower on top. I saw this stem shoot off days earlier, but I was surprised to see how tall it was, and that it actually had a flower on it.

By the way, here is a close-up of the section that I pruned off when I first planted it. As you can see, it looks like I punched off a very obvious main stem, but actually the part I pinched off was sticking out at an angle, just like the other branches in the picture. That's what was so hard about it. It just looked like a bunch of branches...or a bunch of stems, depending on how you look at it.

Now I'm considering keeping the plant. Thing is, I might have done irreversible damage by neglecting it during those days when I thought it was doomed. I've got some major leaf rollage, with some dark spots and some of the leaves are yellow:

What would you do in this situation? Having a single flower on a rogue branch coming out of the ground doesn't sound all that promising.

Comments (15)