SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

Organic windshield wipers, they will nener fly

slowpoke_gardener
10 years ago

Imagine my surprise when I get ready to go for compost and find a young turkey sitting on the car's rear wiper blade.
We have a few wild turkeys, but someone must be feeding them because they are so tame. Last year the mowing machine ran over a nest killing the hen. The tractor driver took about a doz. eggs home with him, hoping to raise them.

Larry

Comments (5)

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

Cool. We used to have a lot of wild turkeys near us, but haven't seen any for several years.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

that is hilarious. of all places to roost. haha.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

What a spectacular find.

• Macmex
    10 years ago

She's probably examining her own reflection in the window! Larry, I bet you're right about someone feeding them.

Last summer I observed something for the very first time. I've heard of it occurring before. But I had never seen it myself. I raise mixed heritage turkeys (free range). Twice last summer, when I was doing evening chores, I watched a wild turkey hen come out of the woods, flirt with my tom turkey, mate with him, and then go back to the woods. I thought, "Now that's going to introduce some real diversity into the gene pool!"

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Larry, This photo is hilarious. We have wild turkeys on our property every year. My favorite thing is to watch two males trying to win the affection of a female. They can get pretty competitive and sometimes the females seem to get disgusted with their antics and stomp off into the woods.

George, That is so funny, and some gene pool diversity never hurts.

We've seen male turkeys try to battle their own reflection in a glass patio door before. I get the sense that they aren't the brightest animal around.

Dawn