SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judywww

HPSO fall sale and Eucryphia glutinosa f. 'Plena'

16 years ago

Hi...

I went to work at the HPSO sale in Hillsboro yesterday with the idea that I wasn't going to buy......I was in denial as I walked around taking it all in during the volunteer pre-sale shopping time. First I picked up a Sequoia sepervirens 'Kelly's Prostrate', then an innocent little Callirhoe involucrata, a replacement Saxifraga umbrosa 'Varigata', a Corydalis hybrid 'Canry Feathers', a 3" replacement delphinium and walked to the holding area thinking......well, that's almost nothing. There was still time left before volunteer training so I got myself a cup of tea and wandered back out to take it all in. My wanderings took me over to Bovees Nursery where I found myself taking to the owner about some mutual friends. That's when I noticed their redtag halfprice sale and I couldn't resist the Eucryphia glutinosa f. 'Plena' nor the Enkianthus perulatus (already in lovely fall color), and then there was the lovely (nonredtag) little Viburnum opulus cv Nanum echoing the color of the enkianthus......I was hard not to spill my still untouched tea as I walked back to the holding area with these 3 1 gallon pots. I DID NOT go back into the sale area after my shift.

So, my question is how much shade does the eucryphia need? Does part sun mean filtered sun? Can it take 2 hours of afternoon sun? 4 hours of AM sun? How much shade can it take? How tall will it actually get in the great PNW? How fast does it grow? How big/old does it have to be before it blooms?

Thanks, and Oh Yes the sale is still on until 3 PM today....very, very dangerous......JudyWWW

Comments (8)

• 16 years ago

It's gone now.
    :

• 16 years ago

Don't worry Jean.....the April Spring sale will be here before you know it! ;-)

• 16 years ago

I had exactly the opposite problem. I walked in to the sale with a budget plan of $40 but spent only half of that because I was not sure of the plant names and how they will be appropriate for my yard. Some pre-announcement of the list of perennials from each of the nurseries at the HPSO website could have helped decide since I would have done my research.

-LG

• 16 years ago

I've found that the vendors are very willing to answer any questions and are very, very helpful. Most growers really don't know what they'll bring until shortly before the sale, anyway.

I did my share and really enjoyed enabling my novice gardening sister. She spent more than I did!

• 16 years ago

The eucryphias are said to want as much sun as possible (in the PNW) for good blooming. The glutinosa is a Chilean species, I think it is a border plant in clearings in its native setting.

I have seen a couple in Portland, one is near the foot of the bristlecone trail at Hoyt Arboretum. It could get over 20 feet eventually. Age of bloom is hard to say, as a group, eucryphias can be fussy.

Some guide books say to use no lime for the planting; I even avoided mushroom compost because of the lime content.

• 16 years ago

Larry Gene.....Thanks for the info on the eucryphia. The part about NO LIME is especially appreciated. Would you choose a mid morning through late afternoon sunny spot tht is quite exposed including some east wind or an afternoon only spot that is much more sheltered and backed on the northside by mature firs? thanks, jwww

• 16 years ago

Your glutinosa (and other Chilean varieties) are rated more tender than my plants that are hybrids or purely Tasmanian/Australian (intermedia, lucida, etc.)

Most literature says to protect them from strong winds, but I get east winds here and only notice occasional tiny branchlet breakage, no individual leaf damage. Leaves turned brown by low temps fall off in spring, are replaced readily by May.

If your two proposed locations are about equally cold in the winter, go with the mid-morning...late afternoon one with wind exposure, that is where mine are.

You may want to mulch and cover up your plant if it is very small for the first winter if temps go below 15.

I put a sprinkler under my eucryphias every two weeks or so during hot summer stretches.

• 16 years ago

Thanks...I like the shape of the tree so the site that's out in the open is the one I prefer. jwww