SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkig_gw

Need help overwintering pain induced hosta purchases!

jakkig
15 years ago

Fellow Hosta Lovers - I really need your help! My garden has had little work done on it this year as I have been having serious back problems since June - heavy duty pain pills, or so I thought, till the back stopped doing what it was doing before and did a massive herniation! Next lot of pain pills led to a disaster!

With nothing else to do, and with the pills breading down my sense defense, I have been madly bidding on eBay hostas and winning a whole lot more than I expected! I am thrilled with the purchases - but I don't know what to do with them now! Well, I do really - they are going to go into the two new hosta beds I've been dreaming about but which my DH doesn't know a thing about yet. I'm just hoping over the winter I can get him to agree that the "Slope" is too ridiculous to mow and needs to be turned into a hosta bed. He's had to do the mowing regularly for the first time since we moved here as it is usually my job...so there may be a chance I can wear him down...explaining - no more cottage garden plants being riotous, just lots of beautiful well behaved hosta islands surrounded by lovely mulch (he's got a computer/engineer type of mind which explains why that scenario could be appealing!)

But in the meantime, overwintering is my issue! BTW, I'm in CT on the Zone 5/6 line. I've been reading the posts about turning pots on their sides etc. However, many of the hosta I bought are only very small. I think they came from "liners" (six-pack sized root systems), even so, they are incredibly healthy and have amazing root systems. Some of the others are mini hosta. I've potted those up in Scotts potting soil and have them in a shaded area of the garden.

The larger hosta I won, I was able to plant in temporary places all over the garden - at least wherever the ground has sloped enough that the actual bed is behind a retaining wall and I can plant without bending over too much. (I knew I loved gardening, but I didn't realize just how important it is to my well-being - this enforced inactivity is really depressing!)

My plan for the small hosta plants was to tear my son away from his computer and have him dig up an area of a flower bed, lay out the pots, most are 2.5" square and then surround them with the soil I've made in my compost area so they can over-winter. In the spring I would then retrieve the pots and make my beds (or I'll have to go to the as yet undefined PLAN B).

However, most of the posts I've read about over wintering in pots, or planting minis or simply small plants seem to say that being outside in pots is not good for little ones.

Please does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do with these small plants to keep them as healthy as possible for spring?

I can make room for them in the garage, we have a new storage area under the sunroom, which has trellis walls, so there is air circulation, and probably some snow will come in and we have a gazebo where I could store the pots. Then there is still the area that Dan was going to dig; I can plant the hostas in rows in the soil. Oh I also have a plastic cold frame I could set up to put the plants in.

Last winter we had very little snow, quite a bit of rain and an incredibly warm January. Don't know what this year will bring, but there is no guarantee any more of a continual snow cover.

Your help would be much appreciated. I'm sorry about the length of this email - too many of my friends have been subjected to such missives due to too much time on my hands! Sorry!

Jakki

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH