SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karin_mt_2

My pathetic hostas (help, please)

9 years ago

Hello Hosta Authorities,

I am in need of some help. I'm a seasoned gardener but I can't seem to figure out what is up with this hosta bed. I have decent hostas elsewhere in the yard, but in this spot they are just struggling and they are smaller than they were last year. The bed is in its 3rd year. All the plants were moved here from a similar bed nearby, which is doing just fine.

The bed is tucked up under the eaves of the house, so the back row doesn't get natural rain. But I water it by hand. I also used some liquid fertilizer (Bill's Perfect) and added a fresh layer of soil pep in an effort to get things moving along.

The soil is OK, amended, alkaline silt loam. Not the worst but not awesome either.

One thing that is interesting is that other plants with similar cultural requirements (huechera, ferns) are doing just fine.

Here are the pics.

The overall bed. It's on the north side of the house and gets evening sun.

From the other direction:

Fragrant Bouquet.

Elegans. It's less than 1 foot across. I know how huge these should be and I've had them before. Poor little thing!

Hosta fortunei 'aureo marginata.' Since I took these pictures, I pulled on the the smaller plants and they just came right out of the ground.

Another 'aureo marginata.' This one is closer to the front of the bed and is a little happier. But the veining on the new leaf makes me wonder if it has an iron deficiency. Do hostas get iron cholorosis?
The white spots on the leaves are deer spray.

Sagae.

Pretty pathetic. Don't judge me! But I would love some input from you all!

thank you,
Karin

Comments (18)