SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_s

I pulled up my roses!!!

ellen_s
15 years ago

I hope I don't regret this. For over four years I have nurtured them. Nourished them with applications of rich compost and kept them well-weeded. I saw enough pretty pink flowers to keep me hoping that one day they would flourish. Out of respect for the previous owner who really loved these roses, I continued to fuss over them, although I refused to spray them with anything toxic.

But half the time they looked like pathetic sticks in an otherwise nice bed. They suffered perpetual black spot and rust. Japanese Beetles loved them. But those pink flowers WERE pretty, so I kept them going for "another year".

This weekend I crossed the line and yanked them!! It was so satisfying. As it turns out, the roots were half-rotted (which probably explains why they never bloomed profusely).

Life is too short to keep struggling with those "must have" plant that just doesn't have the will to live here in my cold valley.

Wish I'd done it years ago...now I can plant something there that WANTS to live and bloom for me :-)

Comments (29)