SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growseattlesun

Topdressing with compost

growseattlesun
14 years ago

I recently finished off the 15 yards of Cedar Grove compost that I had delivered 3 years ago. I used it both to amend the soil when planting (mixed in by shovel) and topdressing for moisture retention in the summer and soil improvement. Although I bought a compost tumbler this spring and LOVE it, I can't produce enough for my 1/3 acre of perennials and shrubs. A friend recently recommended Bailey's compost and I am planning to get a few yards soon.

My questions are: 1) How many inches have people found are best to use? Sometimes I feel like my perennials are being buried if I use more than an inch or two, but I have very sandy/poor soil and want to add as much as I can to improve the soil over time (via the microbes and nutrients and organic bulk and such). 2) Is there any problem with mixing arborist wood chips (I have one pile of fir and one of a fir/cedar mix) in with the compost to add bulk and a longer-term topdress? 3) I have 5 huge big leaf maples and plan to mow/bag the leaves with my lawnmower and put them in chicken wire cages over the winter to decompose. Will this work or is there another method anyone would recommend?

Many thanks and happy late summer to all.

Comments (22)