SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nated_gw

tomato row, plastic sheeting as mulch

nated
11 years ago

Howdy,
From the Texas Vegetable Book, by Dr. Cotner; this year i'm trying his plastic sheeting as mulch idea. I think i'm suppose to leave that sheeting in place the entire growing season. I went with plastic sheeting from Wal Mart, 3.5 mil thickness, 10 foot wide; cutting the 10 foot dimension to 5 foot wide. I ran the drip line down the top of the mulch and then covered the mounded mulch row up with the black plastic. I also figured if you can do this with plastic why not try black weed barrier. So i'm also going to see what happens with cheap weed barrier covering up a row portion. I don't imagine i'll be able to reuse the black plastic next year; besides that it'll be full of holes, and i didn't go with UV resistant plastic sheeting. Oh and better be sitting down for this, but neither the black plastic or weed barrier remnant has been blown off by the wind; today gusts are northerly at 30 mph! Now to see if this something i'll do again. It wasn't that much work at all. I already think that from a water savings standpoint the plastic makes sense.

Comments (3)