SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ratilda_gw

Ready to plant this keiki. How?

ratilda
16 years ago

Hi to all!

Iâm a novice in growing orchids, so, please, forgive me if I use not the right terms or ask the obvious things.

Yesterday, I accidentally broke off the spike of my Phal. which had keiki on top of it.

Considering the info I've already found on this forum, I believe that my keiki is ready to be potted. It has 5 roots, that are at least 4 in long, and 2 more roots are about an inch long; so, 7 roots total.

I already went to the store and bought a new ceramic pot with holes in its sides (these are the ones that I use for the other orchids I have as well), and 20-14-13 orchid fertilizer (just in case you'll say I need to use one at the time of potting the keiki). I also bought some moss because I have an idea of gently wrapping the roots with most and than planting the keiki in the charcoal mix. What would you say about that one? Is it overkill?

So, Iâm ready to plant that keiki! However, I donât know what to do with the remnants of a mother spike that are still attached to my keiki. Do I have to cut it? Or do I have to try to brake off the keiki off it? Again, do I have to use a fertilizer after potting the keiki? How deep to plant it? It is written on the orchid potting mix package that the base of the leaves has to be about ½ in. deeper of a potâs edge. But how to arrange roots in a pot? Do I have to leave some poking out from the mix, or force them inside?

Whew, so many questionsâ¦I just want to do it right.

Image link:

Comments (2)