SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Making a slow move to Oklahoma - Hello!

sally2_gw
15 years ago

Hi, everyone. I've popped in to lurk now and then to see what's up on the Oklahoma Gardening forum, because we've been planning for a long time to move to the Tahlequah area. Well, we've made a major step in that direction, and have bought a small house on a couple of acres. We'll be taking up to 3 years to move, though, since DH doesn't retire for 3 more years. We do plan on being up there frequently getting the house fixed up and starting gardens and an orchard, and definitely, if nothing else, I'm hoping to grow blueberries, if they'll grow there. There are also people that will be helping to care for the place while we're gone.

I've gardened in the Dallas area for close to 30 years, and have worked at an organic nursery for almost 14 years, but the soil here in Dallas (heavy black clay) is completely different than the soil where we bought (rocky, with a little reddish sandy-ish soil). I'm sure that's the first of many differences I'll discover. So, here's the first battery of probably many questions I'll have over the years.

What's the best resource for finding information about what grows in the Tahlequah area? I'd like to know about sources for native plants, and is there anywhere other than Lowes or Walmart to get fruit trees, berries bushes, asparagus crowns, herbs, and all the assorted edibles that make up a good edible garden. My goal is to grow as much of my own food, as possible on 2 acres. I garden organically, and am vegetarian, so I don't use animal products for fertilizer, but I figure I'll be able to come up with lots of fertilizer from my neighbors that have chickens and cows. I want to eventually have my own chickens, but that's another forum.

I'd like simple information, like when's the average first and last freezes for the area. Also, where's the best place to send soil samples for analysis? I know of a lab in Texas that does excellent soil testing and gives organic recommendations, but what about Oklahoma? I could send soil samples to the lab in Texas, but I'd like to use Oklahoma businesses first, if possible.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by and issues come up. I can't wait to get up there. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Sally

Comments (12)