SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Planting, moving, dividing, slow growers

prairie_love
11 years ago

Hello all,

Well, I think you have managed to convert me to a hostaholic. I know it's not many compared to most of you, but I now have 32 varieties ... and adding more as quickly as possible. Thanks to all of you (even though I am mostly a lurker) for the great inspiring photos and discussions!

Now, I have a couple of questions.

1. Planting space. When you plant new hosta, do you space for their eventual size or do you place closer together and expect to move one or more? For example, I just planted Elegans and and Paul's Glory within about 3-4 feet of one another (from center to center). Obviously once Elegans reaches the reported 5' diameter, and Paul becomes 4', they will be too close. So should I dig up and replant or let them go for a few years, then move? Along the same lines, I don't know how many years it would take for them to reach their full sizes.

2. Moving hosta. This sort of follows the above question. If I decide to move a well-grown hosta (and I have seen the excellent tutorial), will it set it back a lot? For example, if Paul's Glory has reached a 3' diameter, and I decide to move it, will it still be that large or larger the next year or will it take a few years to catch up again?

3. Dividing hosta. Before I became a hosta-holic, I used to just dig up, chop apart, and divide my no-name hosta whenever I wanted a new plant. Now I realize that it can take years for a hosta to reach its full potential, so I don't want to divide unnecessarily. So, when is it necessary? Ever?

4. Slow growers. I have several hosta that are growing VERY slowly. Great Expectations, planted three years ago from a one-gallon nursery pot. The next spring, one tiny little leaf emerged very late, but lasted through the season. The second spring, about three tiny leaves emerged. This year, maybe five leaves and a bit bigger than before. Two I planted last fall (purchased from Hallson's) - Liberty (and can't remember the other offhand) emerged very late with one tiny leaf this spring. Are these normally slow growers or have I done something wrong with them?

Thanks for the help!

Comments (11)