SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

Found a new source for plants and gardening supplies

Shelley Smith
12 years ago

Yesterday I got up early and drove into town (Edmond), looking forward to checking out the farmer's market and picking up some tomato plants. I have some started, but there are others I've been reading about here that I couldn't find seeds for. Well, the farmer's market wasn't open and one of the women I met in the parking lot said it won't open till late April, which is surprising. So I drove down the street to the Farmers Grain Co. and they had quite a few plants and the prices seemed very reasonable. All of their stuff comes from the Red Dirt Nursery it looks like. Anyway, I was thrilled to find a Black Cherry and an Early Girl, and they were only $1.59 each. I also got a Fernleaf dill plant, which I've been looking for for ages. I think I will go back and pick up a Juliet tomato, and a few peppers that I don't have seeds for. They had some really healthy strawberries, $1.59 each or $18 for a flat of 12, but I'm concerned that it might be too late to plant them now. What do you all think?

I noticed they also had Nature Made cotton burr compost, big bales of peat, and some mulches, including cedar. They were pretty busy so I didn't ask for prices but I'm going to check next time. I may have found my new source for gardening supplies - certainly much more relaxing shopping there than the big box stores, and prices were better and plants looked better. And they had different varieties, which I recognized as being the ones you all refer to often. I've noticed that the big box stores all seem to carry the same few varieties, and often they are not what you all recommend.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that in case it is helpeful for anyone here. Also, if you know of other good places like this, I'd love to hear about them. I always like to support the small, local businesses if I can.

Shelley

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH