SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottokla

Blueberry plants (yet again)

scottokla
14 years ago

After seeing some of the blueberry offerings around town yesterday, I though I would post again about varieties and where you can find some of them in the Tulsa area. First my disclaimer: Almost all of mine are grown in 100% peat moss and are very difficult and expensive for me to buy, plant, and keep alive, much less be productive. So far they are mostly doing well, though, and are worth the effort.

Atwoods has their regular varieties again this year, but they are outside and in the open in some stores so I'm not certain if they might be damaged by the weather if not kept watered well. They have only the rabbiteyes (or maybe southern highbush) which I know little about. They are reasonably priced (about $7?) in the gallon pots and are very healthy. Atwoods has great prices on a lot of spring plants, but you have to know what you are buying because some of the varieties they sell up here are VERY poor choices for this area (such as their PECANS!)

WalMart and Lowes have Duke and (I think) Bluecrop at some locations in 1 gallon pots for about $10. They were fairly healthy and those are good choices IMO. Some of these have been left dry and exposed for a week or two now so I would be worried about these also since I am not an expert on how the sub-freezing nights impacts the roots in the dry, small pots. Keep your receipts! Duke is an early variety, but it doesn't bloom early so there is no excesive freeze risk. They taste OK but not as good as the mid-season Bluecrop.

My local produce place in Bixby has some Bluecrop and Blueray plants available, but not a lot of them. These are the best two varieties you could choose IMO, and they make you buy equal numbers of each to help pollenation. They seem fairly healthy, but in small containers (paper milk cartons). They obviously do not get them from a large nursery, but I did not ask where they came from. They sell them at the price of $12.99 for two plants, which is about right. I bought 6 to finish out my last two rows, giving me about 60 plants total.

Sanders Nursery on the south side of Broken Arrow down along the river close to Coweta told me they would have a lot in during March, but I have not checked there in the last week to see if they have arrived yet or what varieties they have. They were really nice to me with some other things I was looking for, so I thought I would plug them as a "thank you" of sorts.

Blueberries are probably the easiest food item to grow organically that I can think of. Mine have absolutely no pests here thus far and do not require heavy fertilization. Getting the soil right is another matter!

Comments (12)