SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglemom12

Colorful plants for winter?

beaglemom12
9 years ago

Aside from evergreen trees and hedge shrubs that get super tall, what are some nice plants that have some sort of nice color in the winter, that don't get very big? I hate how gray everything is in the winter time, and I want my yard to have some color to add some cheer. Any ideas? I'm thinking shrubs that stay an interesting shade of blue-green, or yellow-green, like maybe Junipers (but I'm not sure because there seem to be SO many different kinds... also, I don't like foliage that is prickly). I'm also thinking maybe some nice ornamental grasses that change color to a nice yellow or something like that in the winter... or maybe something that gets colorful winter berries in blues or oranges. I don't know but I'm sure there's lots out there I don't know about. I'd like to have some plants that are a little out of the ordinary and maybe eye-catching.

I'm in Zone 7a in Southcoast MA. Also, I don't have a very big yard. It's kind of a mid-size suburban yard I guess you'd say. So I can't have huge wide-spread shrubs because I still want some yard space.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (6)