SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Aha! I think there will be room for 3 new hostas in new strip

esther_b
10 years ago

I have been waiting the Doomsday rains predicted for today and tomorrow. Not a drop. Darn! I need that rain to soften the lawn so I can turn over the sod and create a new 18" wide planting strip on my main garden to transfer the salvaged hostas from the tree garden into. The hostas salvaged from the tree garden are High Society, Maui Buttercup, Undulata mediopicta, Blue Cadet, First Mate, Sparkler, Yellow Eyes, Cracker Crumbs, Raspberry Sundae, and Little Treasure. The Blue Cadet and U. mediopicta will be too large to put into the new strip, so I will offer them to my handicapped neighbor to put under her tree.

I will put Cracker Crumbs, Yellow Eyes and Sparkler, all three tiny minis, into the new 16" glazed pot I just bought. In the middle of that group will go tiny mini heuchie Ginger Snap.

That leaves about 8.5' of hostas to plant in the 13.5' space in front of the main garden. And surely there must be a couple of additional feet turning the corner around to the back of the Obligatory Bushes.

That means I will need maybe 3 more hosta to fill the new strip. I looked over the hostas of several of our favorite companies and what attracted me (because they are different from what I already have) were Ripple Effect, Grand Prize, Hyuga Urijro, Stitch in Time, Tomahawk, Marilyn Monroe.

Does anyone have experience with any of these candidates? Thank you so much for any insider info!

Comments (7)