SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okieladybug

Wisteria, Hydrangea and lilac questions

okieladybug
17 years ago

I want to create a cottage garden in my yard. Because of the mature pecan trees all around my home, I'm in shade most of the day. I love these two plants, but have some questions about growing them here. FYI: I'm a beginner garden with zero experience. I have several questions about each; I also need to know what month to plant each of these, if I decide to grow them.

Wisteria: I saw this in front of several houses Wednesday when I was in Stillwater and love the look of it. I think it could really soften the look of the front of my house. Will this grow in shade? If you have it, what do you have it on (wooden arbor, etc.)? How do I get some (starts, buying a bush, etc.)? Does it require a lot of water? How long does it take to grow?

Hydrangea: I read that hydrangea will be ok in shade, as long as you keep them watered. Is this true here in Oklahoma? There is a house in my town that has tons of hydrangea on the north side of their home. The only shade provided is their house...in my yard shade is provided by my house and trees. How long does it take for them to get established and bloom?

Lilacs: I LOVE lilacs...they were one of my great-grandmother's favorite flowers and have become mine, too. I read that you can get a shoot off an existing plant to start with. If I do this, what do I do with it? Does it go outside immediately or do I need to keep it indoors for a while? How long will it take to bloom if I get a shoot? Is there a better way to start growing them?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!! I really want to beautify my yard this year, but know nothing...so I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions!

Comments (10)