SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Here's The Tomatoes I'm Growing in 2009

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

Now that all my seeds are planted (Round 1 was started Feb. 1st, Round 2 was started Mar. 1st), I thought I'd post my 2009 tomato list. So, here it is:

ROUND 1:

These seeds were started Feb. 1st and have been potted up from their peat pellets to 8.5 oz. styrofoam cups. Most of them have 4 true leaves. If the weather continues to look good, I'll start hardening them off next week. I've been keeping them dry and cool so they won't grow too fast and get too big too early. They have the potential to go into the ground just before our last frost date here (March 27th) but I'll keep them in their cups a little longer if the weather looks unfavorable.

Arkansas Traveler

Black Cherry

Brandy Boy Hybrid

Bush Early Girl Hybrid

Box Car Willie

Chocolate Stripes

Grape

Homestead 24

Indian Stripe

Jet Star Hybrid

Momotaro Hybrid

Mountain Princess

Nebraska Wedding

Neve's Azorean Red

New Big Dwarf

Orange-Flesh Purple Smudge

Porterhouse Hybrid

Primetime Hybrid

Ramapo Hybrid

Royal Hillbilly

San Marzano

San Marzano Redorta

Sioux

Sun Gold Hybrid

Super Sioux

Supersonic Hybrid

Tess's Land Race Currant

True Black Brandywine

ROUND TWO: These seeds were planted in peat pellets March 1st. These likely will go into the ground right after Easter. I'm trying to spread out the planting so I'm not doing so much of it at one time.

Mountain Glory Hybrid VFFF/TSWV

Mountain Fresh Plus Hybrid VFFN

Scarlet Red Hybrid

Red Defender Hybrid

Moreton Hybrid

Tropic Hybrid VFN

Sophie's Choice

Glacier

Snow White cherry

Yellow Canary (for containers) cherry

Red Robin (for containers) cherry

Orange Pixie (for containers) cherry

Rose Quartz cherry

Bloody Butcher

Livingston's Gold Ball

Ildi cherry

Sweet Million cherry

Black Plum

There will be a Round Three, although I am not sure if I'll start those seeds in March and then try to find room for the plants, or if I'll save them for fall. I'll probably start the following in Round 3, and maybe a couple of other varieties as well:

Golden Sweet Grape--for dehydrating for winter

Fargo Yellow Grape--for dehydrating for winter

Cuban Yellow Grape--for dehydrating for winter

Polish Linguisa--for sauce/salsa

Opalka--for sauce/salsa

Seeds for fall tomatoes will be Round 4. They will be started in May and those will include the Livingston line of heirloom tomatoes, the heat-bred Sunmaster and Heat Wave types for August production, and the long-keepers for the winter months.

I'm trying a lot of new hybrids this year and I'll explain that in a separate thread. And, you may notice two long-time favorites are gone.....Indian Stripe has replaced Cherokee Purple and True Black Brandywine has replaced Black Krim. I'm a little worried about not having Cherokee Purple and Black Krim, but I can always pick up one or two of them from a local store since these two heirlooms are now easy to find at retailers.

The dried cherry, grape and currant tomatoes were wonderful this winter but didn't last long enough, so I am hoping to dehydrate four times as many this year.

So, what tomato varieties will everyone else be growing this year?

I thought I'd post a separate thread for other veggies.

Dawn

Comments (30)